Operational Amplifiers - unused amps

jedynakiewicz

I am using an LM324 Operational Amplifier IC to handle the DAC output from a PICAXE. I only need one of the four operational amplifiers on the chip; I am using pins 1,2,3,4 &11. What should I do with the unused pins? If I leave them unconnected I fear that the chip may be damaged by static etc. Should the inputs be tied to ground and the outputs left open? Expert advice would be much appreciated.

LM324 Op Amp.png

jedynakiewicz

LM324 OpAmp Unused.png
Okay, I think that I am sorted. Herewith a reference diagram for anyone else looking for such an answer. I have patched in the terminations for amplifier 2 in the chip. The Maxim note does not give any resistor values - I am presuming that 10K should probably be right? Anyone got any advice/opinion on that?

Last edited:

BeanieBots

An LM324 and you're only using 1/4 of it! There are countless 8-pin op-amps out there and even some of those are dual.
Anyway, unused inputs. There were quite a few opinions on those links and some of them were worse than leaving the inputs floating.
You should tie the -ve input to the output and the +ve input to mid potential. As the LM324 struggles to get within a few volts of its rails I assume you are using dual rails, so in your case, that would be 0v.
(or as MartinM57 describes about your diagram)
When prototyping I never bother and have never had any issues. The LM324 is a tough old beast and one of my favourites. (as it has 4 in one package).

jedynakiewicz

Try again - non-inverting (+) input to junction of resistors ;)
I was just checking to see if you spotted my deliberate error...well, okay I cannot believe that I messed up the diagram- thanks for that (shows what happens when you sketch up whilst hurrying to get ready for Church on Sunday). My post now edited to correct the configuration.

dmaxben

For what its worth....I just use an MCP6021. Small (SOT-23 or 8-pin DIP), only has one op-amp, and works perfectly with the Picaxe DAC...

ben