OLED Displays from Winstar

MearCat

I've been waiting for a company to eventually release a character LCD but using OLED and have just found that Winstar have done it - See http://www.winstar.com.tw/products_detail.php?CID=45&lang=en I love the clean look of OLED over backlit LCD.

However can I assume that Phandersons #107 driver chip would not work on the character type OLED display since this is OLED, not LCD? Alternatively, I wouldn't mind trying out the Graphic OLED but does anyone have any ideas on what driver IC (if I have to use one at all) would I use to interface with it? Their website states that the displays have a built-in driver http://www.winstar.com.tw/newspaper_ov.php?ID=85#3 but I can't figure out what else I'd need to interface with the displays. I haven't yet been able to find info on what controller they use for the OLED displays.

I would prefer to try and source an out-of-the-box solution (lile Phanderson #107) for the OLED displays but somehow doubt there is anything like this available yet.

Last edited:

John West

I'm not sure why companies go to the trouble of putting such devices up on display with zip in the way of info. A lot of us just don't bother to inquire further if the page doesn't list a datasheet and a price. There are too many other businesses that do.

MearCat

After a few days, I've received a few proper datasheets of both the Winstar Character OLED and Graphic OLED and at first glance it seems that they both work just like a normal parallel HD44780 LCD.

It doesn't specify what type of controller they use, but Winstar has emailed today and advised that "Our OLED is not completely compatible with Hitachi HD44780 controller, you have to revise the software a bit". Mmm - Not sure what they mean by this, but I think Phanderons #107 chip may work but I'll have to read and compare the Winstar OLED and HD44780 datasheets.

I now need to order a OLED unit (5 week lead time from our local supplier :( ) If anyone knows anybody who can supply a Winstar WEH002004A (20x4 OLED) quicker than 5 weeks, please let me know!

Last edited:

Dippy

Yes, you MUST compare the controller data sheets.

The things to check are the timing specs and the sequence in wihich control and then data pins are triggered.

If you get something out of order then it may not work.

MearCat

I have now reviewed both datasheets, and the Hitachi HD44780 controller and the Winstar OLED Controller are VERY close. So the differences I have found :

The standard character font tables for are a bit different (seems like half Western, half Japaense in one of the Winstar tables), but if you're using standard Ascii table characters, you wouldn't notice this.

The Winstar has exactly a similar same instruction structure and instruction codes and same LCD initialisation order as HD44780,

However, the main differences in the instructions with the Winstar OLED ...
1) Has a Character mode and a Graphic Mode so it requires one additional step to specify the mode which it runs in.
2) The "Function Set" instruction requires you to specify which Font Tables (2 available) to use.
3) Has a Bit in one of the instructions to allow you to turn enable/disable the internal power.

Conclusion : Although close to the standard HD44780 LCD, the Winstar OLED needs a couple of extra Bits set in a few instructions to initialise it properly... so I doubt the Phanderson driver IC will work for this OLED.

westaust55

If you upload the datasheets you have received (which could be useful to others in future) and clearly flag the control bit differences, then PHA who occasionally visits this forum may just confirm or verify if his chip will work.

manuka

Has a Character mode and a Graphic Mode so it requires one additional step to specify the mode which it runs in.
Mearcat: Did I read this right-does this mean the Winstar display offers BOTH characters AND graphics? They're normally quite different beasts of course, but it'd be very versatile,especially given other OLED features (temp. tolerance,wide view angle,high contrast ratio,rapid response time,lower current,flexible supply voltage & thinner profile etc). What sort of price are they asking?

But -gasp-5 weeks lead time! Surely you know of the OLED offerings from "Aussie's own" 4D Systems? They may not be fully Winstar equivalent, by you could have them in days I'd say.

MearCat

Mearcat: Did I read this right-does this mean the Winstar display offers BOTH characters AND graphics? They're normally quite different beasts of course, but it'd be very versatile,especially given other OLED features (temp. tolerance,wide view angle,high contrast ratio,rapid response time,lower current,flexible supply voltage & thinner profile etc). What sort of price are they asking?

But -gasp-5 weeks lead time! Surely you know of the OLED offerings from "Aussie's own" 4D Systems? They may not be fully Winstar equivalent, by you could have them in days I'd say.

Apparently so :) To quote from the datasheet (which I will upload soon for reference) "WIN0010 provides not only character mode but also graphic mode. User can fill in 100x16 data in embedded RAM to display graphic. Graphic mode addressing is different from character mode. Use DDRAM address instruction to set X-axis of Graphic Mode and CGRAM address instruction to Y-axis of Graphic Mode".

The Winstar module I'm looking at using is a 20x4 character OLED module (WEH002004A) is AUD38 via http://www.cresttech.com.au . I'm in no rush because it's for an ongoing project that I don't get much time to spend on anyway.

manuka

OK. your WIN0010 data sheets awaited-that's assuming this is not an April Fool ! We've previously PICAXE persuaded (thanks to their GOLDELOX processor & µSD card) 4D Systems serial graphics OLED colour offerings into such double duty (refer below). That was ~4 years back & I forget details, but they were very tiny & in the US$50 range I recall ...

Attachments

Last edited:

westaust55

OK. your WIN0010 data sheets awaited-that's assuming this is not an April Fool ! We've previously PICAXE persuaded (thanks to their GOLDELOX processor & µSD card) 4D Systems serial graphics OLED colour offerings into such double duty (refer below). That was ~4 years back & I forget details, but they were very tiny & in the US$50 range I recall ...
4D Systems seems to have dropped the smaller 96 x 96 pixel OLED display.
The 128 x 128 pixel OLED display is currently ~AUD$30
The 160 x 128 pixel OLED display is currently ~AUD$40

westaust55

@Mearcat,
With respect to my earlier suggestion to post the datasheet(s) here for reference, use the paperclip icon.
See the attached image for the location of this when you open a new post.
Not aware of a limitation on users to accept the Manage Attachments (paper clip) - maybe the moderators know something there . . .

Attachments

Dippy

Yes. We need links to the actual CONTROLLER CHIP data sheets.
We need to know which pins go up and down and when and how fast.
There is more to comparing driver/controllers than font sets.

If it does support graphics then if you want that you'll have to write the code - and it can be very time consuming. Anyone who has written graphics firmware will know how big it can get and how hard it is to write efficiently.

The last one I wrote was for an OLED which used a Solomon controller. The first hurdle which took a week was actually getting the controller datasheet.... nightmare.

Actually I've just seen a really low price little colour OLED, I might have a go myself.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Conclusion : Although close to the standard HD44780 LCD, the Winstar OLED needs a couple of extra Bits set in a few instructions to initialise it properly... so I doubt the Phanderson driver IC will work for this OLED.
You may be in luck.

As the AXE033 controller ( and likely others ) can pass raw commands to the LCD it should be possible to re-initialise the LCD display by sending the correct codes even if the LCD has been initialised wrongly.

The only thing really important is getting the display into 4-bit or 8-bit mode and that's the first step of initialisation and you don't necessarily need to re-send that. As long as the LCD remains accessible once the HD44780 initialisation has completed then you should be able to reintitalise it to what you need.

MearCat

Hitachi Datasheet has been uploaded as per link below, but because the Winstar WS0010 OLED Datasheet is 3.8Mb (and the PICAXE forum won't allow uploaded files of this size), I've had to upload in to an external site :---

EDIT : EasyShare Link removed to make it easier to download. See below for post from westaust55 for the upload to this forum

Attachments

Last edited:

manuka

Argh- that Easy-Share hosting site is a pain! Contact me by PM & I'll look to host it at my NZ PICAXE site for near instant access. Stan.

Update: Have now hosted here

Last edited:

Dippy

I agree. Easy Share? My codpiece. A link to a manuf's site is SSOOO much easier.
I finally downloaded it, but was so exhausted that I could only give a brief (cursory haha) glance.
The character/driving aspect looks like an extended set of the Hitachi controller. But I'm afraid studying the signal aspect and the graphics bit in detail will take a bit of time and my kettle is boiling.

If I were feeling tired I'd simply drop an email to Winstar and ask them. Tell them you want to replace X(Hitachi) controlled 16x2 with their OLED, and ask them what software changes are needed.
You may have a thorough and expert answer within a few days - you're not in a hurry. They won't bite or send in an airstrike.;)

pha555

That OLED is impressive. Do you have a source that will accept a small US order.

The current LCD #117 can handle this in a manner similar to what Hippy described for the Rev-Ed controller. Any command can be sent to the LCD as;

?!01

This sends the command $01 directly to the LCD causing a reset. When you get your OLED, let me know and I will provide the info you need.

Cheers.

Peter Anderson

John West

Thanks for the comment, Doc. I still have 4 of your chips to put to use in picaxe projects. It looks like one may be an OLED one.

MearCat

Winstar have replied to my query to what changes would be required to convert a project from using a Hitachi HD44780 controller LCD to their OLED display.

They have sent me nothing but a C program to review (which I have uploaded). It's a small little program which simply initialises the module and writes a few lines to it.

** Note that in the header of the file, the controller is listed as "ST7066"...

Attachments

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The initialisation is ...

WriteIns(0x38);//function set
WriteIns(0x08);//display off
WriteIns(0x06);//entry mode set//need to configure this cmd or char will move left not move right
WriteIns(0x17);//Character mode and internel power on (have to turn on internel power to get the best brightness)
WriteIns(0x01);//clear display
WriteIns(0x02);//return home
WriteIns(0x0c);//display on

For an AXE033, convert each line, eg "WriteIns(0x0c);" to ...

SerTxd( 254, 0x0c ) ' display on

You can probably drop the first three or all four 0x38. You need a PAUSE after the clear display and perhaps after some others. IMO start with everything and PAUSE 15 after each.

The "0x" can become "$" if you prefer; "0x0c" = "$0C"

Last edited:

MearCat

Since the OLED has a graphics mode, I requested (From Winstar) a sample of a program that writes data while in Graphics mode. See attached file. This C program uses an array to store the graphic and since PICAXE BASIC hasn't got an array structure, but the equivalent would be to store the values it in EEPROM or peek/poke from RAM

Attachments

Last edited:

MearCat

....But -gasp-5 weeks lead time! ....
My Australian supplier ordered the wrong colour OLED and now the factory has been delayed by their supplier of PCBs. They have NO stock of the size OLED I have ordered and now ETA is mid JUNE which will make it around 10 weeks from order to delivery. Not Happy :mad:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Here is an interesting photo for you, using a Winstar OLED sample we received. It worked straight out the box on the AXE033, no changes at all required.

They are on several months lead time though, so don't expect them to be readily available any time soon!

Code:
#picaxe 28x2
'clear display
serout B.7,n2400,(254,1)
serout B.6,n2400,(254,1)
serout B.5,n2400,(254,1)
pause 100
'display top line message
serout B.7,n2400,(254,128,"AXE033 with...")
serout B.6,n2400,(254,128,"AXE033 with...")
serout B.5,n2400,(254,128,"AXE033 with...")
'display bottom mesage
serout B.7,n2400,(254,192,"...Backlit LCD")
serout B.6,n2400,(254,192,"...Winstar OLED")
serout B.5,n2400,(254,192,"...normal LCD")
'stop forever
stop

Attachments

MearCat

Here is an interesting photo for you, using a Winstar OLED sample we received. It worked straight out the box on the AXE033, no changes at all required.
That's excellent news! I won't be testing my Winstar OLED for a while now thanks to that lead time, but I am looking forward to playing with the ability to change from character mode to graphic mode on the fly.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The OLED is much brighter than the backlit LCD but draws less current. It's viewing angle is also much, much better, you can still read it from almost any angle.

tarzan

OLED

@Technical

When stocked I would like OLED 4x20 Green please.

WEH002004A At 98mm x 60mm they are very tall when mounting in a project box; a better option is this style WEH002002A. Only available in 2x20.

Winstar can provide Sunlight Readable OLEDs
We are proud that Winstar is one of few manufacturers in the market that can provide sunlight readable OLED displays. It’s an optional element, if your application need sunlight readable feature. Winstar owns the technology to make it sunlight readable during OLED display production process. This sunlight readable technology is suitable for our standard OLED items and Custom design solution.

Attachments

Last edited:

MearCat

Well it took just over 12 weeks on backorder, but I finally had the Winstar OLED arrive today. The first thing that struck me is how thin the display "housing" is compared to backlit LED displays. The OLED display itself is a only ~4.5mm thick :) and the whole thing (board, rear mounted components and mounting tabs etc) is 9mm thick.

I purchased a 20x4 - see pics attached. I will try and get some spare time over the next week to play with the character AND graphics mode and will get some photos uploaded when I do.

OLED1.jpg

OLED2.jpg

jtcurneal

I have been doing some work with 2 x 20 Characters OLEDs display from New Haven Display. I find that the execution time for doing instructions or handling data is much longer than similar Character LCD displays. According to the data sheets an instruction that takes 38 microseconds on a LCD display can take as much as 600 microseconds on a OLED display. Many of the serial in drivers that work fine on LCD displays are to fast to work on OLED displays.

Joel

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
II find that the execution time for doing instructions or handling data is much longer than similar Character LCD displays. According to the data sheets an instruction that takes 38 microseconds on a LCD display can take as much as 600 microseconds on a OLED display. Many of the serial in drivers that work fine on LCD displays are to fast to work on OLED displays.
We have not found that with the Winstar displays, they work 'as is' without any modfications on our serial drivers (e.g. AXE033).