Old vers of Programming Editors still here.

Grant Fleming

I can see that I still have old versions of Prog Ed installed (in the "add/remove programmes") - latest V5.07 only has around 9MB, also V5.04 but the old ones around 33MB(V4.15) and 36MB(V4.17). I don't understand this to start with! Basically my question is - can I delete the older versions to free up disc space? I thought these would have gone each time I updated.
Cheers,
Grant

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The short answer is, "No".

The latest 5.0.7 is no smaller than 4.1.X, so what you are seeing in the list is probably the size of a patch, not the full set of software.

If a patch is applied or an upgrade made without uninstalling the previous version, multiple entries appear in the list of programs. The size is how big that installation was, not the amount of space currently used on disk.

Removing Programming Editor through "Add/Remove" can cause all sorts of problems. IMO, it's better to leave them all there, or remove all of them and then re-install just the latest full version.

Edited by - hippy on 03/03/2007 11:33:39

Grant Fleming

Hi Hippy, thanks for the quick reply.
O.k, so I'm not using any extra disk space then- that was my main concern as I'm trying to free it up. You say the old versions still appear if I upgrade or use a patch without first uninstalling the old- I thought a patch or upgrade was exactly that- all about building on the existing programme? So you say I could tidy up by uninstalling ALL old and downloading the latest version again- so this would mean saving all my programmes I've written somewhere else first.
Thanks for all your help,
Cheers,
Grant

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
What happens when you patch or upgrade is that the newer files overwrite the older ones, so old ones don't take up any excess space even though Add/Remove doesn't reflect that. That's not always true but is the general rule.

Most of the disk space used (~20MB) is datasheets.

Uninstalling shouldn't delete your PICAXE program files, but that depends on where you've placed them on disk. It's always a good idea to back your disk up before installing any new software and every now and again anyway.