O-Silly-Scope

cdngunner

Hey folks a little OT but someone wants to dump the following "old " osciliscopes on me.

Dual Triode 6DJ8 ECC88

Telequipment Type D 43 (needs vacuum tube Dual Triode 6DJ8 ECC88)

Emco Electronics OSC 10 ST

Type 506 Oscilloscope (a big one with modular add-ons listed below)
With Type 9A1 Dual-Trace Amplifier
With Type 3B1 Time Base Delayed Sweep Triggering

Are they worth me grabbing them. They both supposedly still work.
Thanks for any input.

Jaguarjoe

506, 9A1, and 3B1 sound like Tektronix numbers but I couldn't find an o-scope by that designation on the web. I found TM506 and PG506 but they aren't scopes. I used a 502 (or maybe 503?) at work for many years and it worked well.
Older vacuum tube equipment can be troublesome because of component deterioration over the years. Capacitors and sometimes transformers have the biggest problems.
If its been laying around for a long time, the shock of suddenly applying mains power to it can lead to pyrotechnics. Some guys bring stuff up gently with a variac.

cdngunner

Just checked for the missing tube. That scope needs a matched pair which runs $200-300......might as well get something newer for that price.

cdngunner

hmmmmmmm the ones I was looking at were Seimens from 1962 apparently the Seimens are the most recomended.......

1 Ultra-Low Noise Pairs $299/pair) 6DJ8 Siemens Halske (Munich, Germany) NOS branded "6DJ8 Telefunken" with
"falcon crest logo" and "silver shield between plates" (71-23=1971) (GA4 series) (recommended pair)

but if these ones are "just as good"......

Last edited:

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
It's probably a reasonable course to just take them, see how well they perform, see what cost there is in repairing if needed, keep what's good and recycle / junk those which aren't.

There may be components you can salvage anyway - the pots and switches are handy ( or entire front panel ) if thinking of building your own scope or software scope interface - and you'll more likely get to find exactly what part numbers are for things which need replacing.

fernando_g

Don't forget that original vacuum tube (valve) equipment has become collector's items. That is the reason why those Siemens Halske tubes command such a high price.
If these scopes are in reasonable cosmetic condition, and they still work (although they may drift), you could always re-sell them later.
Could you post pictures?

Last edited: