Numlock problems

pleiser

With my PICAXE computer, whenever I press the numlock key the picaxe does not receive any other keys until I plug the keyboard into a normal computer (observing that the numlock light is on) and press numlock to toggle it off, and reconnect the keyboard to the PICAXE. Is this a bug? Is there any other solution?

~Patrick

geoff07

num lock is a keyboard function that sends different keycodes if it is on or off, so is not a function of the receiving host. Your description implies that the Picaxe is not reset or otherwise changed betwen unplugging and reconnecting. So it sounds to me a keyboard issue. Is the keyboard getting 5v at 275mA (the PS/2 spec)?

pleiser

it is running at 4.5 volts (3 AA batteries) (works fine normally), the picaxe has been turned off when exchanging the keyboard, and the problem persists between resets. should'nt pressing numlock again turn it off? how else can I turn it off?

Last edited:

geoff07

4.5 is the minimum, but should be fine according to the spec. I suggest you check that the Vcc line to the keyboard remains above 4.5v when the keys are pressed. You could also try a different keyboard and see if the effect remains.