Not related to picaxe (4017 Decade Counter) :)

Hello every one, hope every one is enjoying the Christmas build-up!

Well as I am waiting to receive my LED matrix's I have decided to start using up all of my discrete IC that were the first type of chips i ever bought. Included in my collection was a couple of a 4017 decade counter. Very smart chip in my eyes :).

Any way after soldering it to a strip board it worked first time (after miss placing the Bargraph array 3 times :L) At the moment there is just a wire sticking out just to test it for a while (will remove it don't worry :) ) . Well it's nice to see how static can keep clocking the chip after rubbing your foot against the floor :L. Any way the small little problem I am having is now attaching a little button to clock on the pin. I have a small idea on how it works and i know it has to be connect to the ground and then the +. I have a switch but when ever i try it just mucks up. I know I am doing some thing wrong because I have just been guessing so far.

Here is what I have tried. Connecting the pin to ground with a resistor to keep it low. I then have a switch that when pressed makes the clock go high. For some reason this didn't work. ( I will attach a picture to show you the setup.) I can make it work with a relay if needed as i bought some tiny 3volt relays. But is there an easier way?

Thank you all for taking a look :) And this is just a side project to keep me occupied for the led matrix's to come.

(Just managed to do it with a simple relay circuit, but there must be an easier way?)

nick12ab

Are you sure the switch is working? There's also no picture attached. In the case of getting the relay to work, was the switch just substituted with the relay with no other changes?

geoff07

From what you say, a simple high pulse is what you want in order to trigger the counter. In that case, the arrangement you have described (pull-down resistor, pull-up momentary switch contact) would work but is likely to be bouncy i.e. to generate several pulses which would lead to odd behaviour. If you connect a capacitor (100nf) between the input pin and either ground or +v that should 'debounce' the input and it might behave as you wish. The capacitor is there to charge or discharge, and the input voltage will be the capacitor voltage, which will absorb any bounces and provide the input voltage you want when the capacitor reaches the right level of charge. The resistor should be around 10K, giving a charge time of around 0.5mS to the '1' level.

Here is a video, I am soldering now and I am very sorry for the video. It works Great! Thank you all and electric I think I will buy the 7 segment driver :p That looks really interesting! I will post back with more detail! :) Thanks again to all!

eclectic

Here is a video, I am soldering now and I am very sorry for the video. It works Great! Thank you all and electric I think I will buy the 7 segment driver :p That looks really interesting! I will post back with more detail! :) Thanks again to all!
1. What Video? :)

2. re. 4026, see Manual 3, page 22.

e

SAborn

If all you want is a simple pulse for testing the 4017 a simple little method i have used is a flashing led with the clock pin attached to the led and resistor junction, it gives about 1hz signal which is perfect for most testing, and also a clock indicator.

jtcurneal

From your description of how you set up your 4017, I am not sure just how you had the reset and the disable pins set-up.

The RESET pin ( pin 15 ) has to be held high, usually with a resistor ( 10K ) to VCC.
The DISABLE pin ( pin 13 ) has to be held low, usually with a resistor to ground.

with these pins floating, If you get any results, you will get very strange results

Joel