Non-PICAXE Query

twebb

While perusing the forums for info as to when PICAXE VSM might be updated (and coming away with a sinking feeling that the PICAXE VSM folks really don't care - maybe we picaxe users are labeled as 'profitless'?) I saw a thread where a forum member indicated he was using 'Circuit Wizard'.

I went over to the 'Circuit Wizard' site for a peek. Interesting, but to me, not really a MCU designer/simulator in the same sense as PICAXE VSM. Seems for PICAXE simulation VSM (LabCenter?) is the only game in town???

I've used NI Circuit Design and MicroCap a bit and always interested in circuit design and simulation. So my question - in the NON-MCU world, what electronics design/simulation software have you used and found helpful?

Sorry if I have put this in the wrong forum - but I figure there is some pretty savvy electronics guys using picaxe and they would be willing to help me out!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SAborn

I still think the breadboard and the biological computer are still some of the best design methods, and frequently used by many of us.

cravenhaven

You could have a look at Yenka. Its laborious and doesnt support all the PICAXE chips but it might be worth a look.

darkflame

The educational version of Circuit Wizard includes flow-chart and BASIC simulation of an inferior PICAXE clone, the Genie. We use this at school - even though the actual PCBs contain PICAXEs.

Dippy

I've just had a quick look in Labcenter Proteus Isis and notice a few examples of PICAXE circuits and code for simulation.
It even played We wish you a Merry Christmas :)
It hasn't got the latest AXEs , but the few that it has should get you started.

Maybe you have that already in your VSM? I have no experience of it.

Anyway it looked quite entertaining. Maybe the examples are also on the Proteus Demo which you can download FOC.
It's a good CAD too.
I haven't had a thorough go, but it looks interesting. If you move on to PICs+C it can do that too.
I don't tend to use simulators but I realise they are very useful.
Some Manufacturers have on-line simulators which are good for specific chips.

twebb

Thanks to all who replied! Very helpful, muchly appreciated!

Goeytex - mind if I ask your location in Texas??