Newby in need of help

scivis81

I have recently purchased a 40X1 and am now trying to get the chip to link up with my computer. I have configured the circuit as shown in the diagrams with the 22k and 10k resistors tied to the serial in. I have also connected the 4.7k resistor to the reset pin with the reset switch set high. I am using a regulated 5V power supply and have checked all the connections that I have made on the bread board. I also have made sure that I am using the correct communications port.

When I tell the computer to run the program it attempts to connect with the microcontroller and I have watched the voltage on the input change from low to high. I have not been able to measure a response from the serial out pin on the controller though.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

ylp88

Where is your regulated 5V supply coming from. If you are getting it from some form of plugpack, try running it from batteries and a voltage regulator instead, including the necessary filter capacitors.

Also check and make sure that you've connected all the power supply pins - it is easy to forget to connect one of the 0V pins, for example. Short of that, have you tried pulling it all apart and starting from scratch.

Just also to clarify, the resistor on the reset pin should connect to your positive rail while the switch connects between the reset pin and ground. It is not entirely clear how you've done this is what you've written.

ylp88

BrendanP

Have you got another picaxe there? It can be helpfull to try another in case you have a dud. (unlikely)

It is good to have a few el cheapo 0M8's on hand to test things with, no big deal if you fry a few.

Stick with it, you'll get it work and you'll have a lot of fun with it. You'll get lots of help here so ask questions.