Newbie - LCD in logicator

sodeaf

Hey there guys, I'm a newbie at all this. I'm learning a ton, but I think I am stumped. I'm using a pic 18M2 to communicate with a AXE033. It works great, but I originally bought it to learn so I could be able to use the 20x2 VFD display I currently own but I do not have a serial firmware chip. But I decided to remove the LCD that came with the AXE033 and hook up my 20x2 VFD. (I'm a trial and error kinda learner) It works!!! well I might add. I just use Logicator then convert to basic then change the LCD commands to accommodate the 20x2.

The trick is that this chip (PIC16F819) on the AXE033 will work great for what I need. I guess there is no way to copy it? How would I go about getting more of these loaded with this program? Can I guy them? Or is there something else out there I could use. I have a bunch of 18M2... But i do not know how to right in true basic form, I understand the flow chart style of programming.

Any help here would be awesome

As well what would be the best way to have 2 chips communicate? Could I use the IR? Hardwired?

Thanks guys

Steve

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

The chip in the AXE033 isn't available separately but the FRM010 is a close match. The best way to connect two chips up is usually hard-wired but depends on what you want to achieve.

sodeaf

Cool, so the FRM010 is the same chip on the AXE033 Board or similar, same pin out etc. So I can use that to connect to my VFD display and connect via Serial connection to my 18M2.

My completed circuit will be made up with 2 x 18M2 and the VFD (with FRM010). I know how to connect the FRM010 and 18M2 to work with out a hitch, but whats the best way to have the 2 - 18M2 chips communicate with out any issues.

Thanks again..

Take Care

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Cool, so the FRM010 is the same chip on the AXE033 Board or similar, same pin out etc.
They are similar but not the same; I haven't looked to see what the AXE033IC details are. The FRM010 pinout and command set is in the FRM010.PDF, this will likely differ to the pinout used for the AXE033IC, they may even be different sized chips.

but whats the best way to have the 2 - 18M2 chips communicate with out any issues.
Hard-wired, SEROUT to SERIN would be my first choice.

sodeaf

Are there and suppliers in Canada or the USA that sell these or do I have to order them right from the UK? the FRM010

Thanks again for the quick reply's

sodeaf

Alright, I have been doing a lot of reading and playing around with the firmware from the Axe033. And I like the Predefined Messages as I can load 7 of them to save a lot of room in my program. But as I look into the FRM010 it does not offer this feature at all?

2nd.. I'm using the AXE033 Firmware chip to control my 20x2 VFD display, is there away to make the Predefined Message 20 Characters long? Seems to only like 16.. But I guess that's what they state in the manual.. didn't know if there war a a work around.

What I don't understand is why they don't sell the same chip on the AXE033 Board separately? It seems like a better chip then the FRM010? Like I said I'm so new at this and I'm just learning...

I have managed to get my entire program on 1 x 18M2 chip which needs to connect via a single pin to my 20x2 VFD... I think the AXE033 (chip only) is the best route, but I'm stumped on trying to acquire more of these exact chips unless I buy 12 x AXE033 kits but that's a bit much..

I love PICAXE! It has been awesome to work with, I'm just shocked that there is no "20x2 Serial LCD Firmware" chips out there for purchase.. well chips that would hook up similar to the frm010 and so on. Chips with Predefined Message settings and so on..

Well you guys are great, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The AXE033 is designed for 16 character predefined msgs only, as it is designed for the 16x2 display.

We sell the AXE033-IC mainly for people who damage the chip on the AXE033 module and want a spare! The FRM010 is easier to use on home made boards.

sodeaf

Awesome.. Well I would like to buy some, are there any dealers in Canada or USA with these Chips (AXE033-IC and FRM010)? I'm in Canada and it would cost me more to order one chip from the UK then it would to buy the whole AXE033 kit in Canada..

Any suggestions??

Thanks

sodeaf

Cool, thanks for all the help..

As mentioned above "The AXE033 is designed for 16 character predefined msgs only, as it is designed for the 16x2 display."

If you use the "LCD" Command in logicator then yes it only allows you to use 16-Characters, but when using SerOut command I can input the 20 Characters I need and it works fine. Would this be the same for the FRM010? or AXE033-IC? There is a bit of confusion to which chip I would be getting for I cannot find both listed on the site. So I don't know if the two have been combined to just the one chip? The AXX033-IC does not use an external resonator unless you are using the DS1307 Time addition. (at least that's how I see it). Sorry guys I'm just learning and I have everything working perfect with the board from an AXE033 to my 20x2 VDF... Just need to figure out a way to get more without a whole new learning curve.

On my 2nd 18M2 that receives the data via SerIN, from the first I had to put a wait .2 Sec before it loops back to serin to get it working right. That is on the main "START", I used START1 for the program that will output to LCD based on the appropriate variable change. So it is only checking for serial "in" every .2 sec.. is this normal? Will this cause any issue.. Suggestions?

Maybe you can answer this as well.. What do other people do? If they have a picaxe chip and want to use an lcd or vfd display? Write there own program for it? It's just that if you "google" Serial Firmware chip there are not a lot of options, I would think there would be more.. If I'm using the easy way out by buying this chip.. whats the alternative?? Just curious..

Thanks again.. Steve.. (I love Picaxe!)