NewBe Question, First -08M Project

#picaxe 08M
b13 = 0
main:........
Brilliant thanks! Yes with this and the button push (or fast flip on off of a toggle), I can allow the EPROM to be programed to do different patterns IF SO DESIRED.... allowing simple program change or variation just at power up, gives the user some choices. Thanks!

I will have to be careful that the user does not inadvertently cycle the pattern..... that will be fun to "fool proof". Giving the user the ability to change the way the program runs, even just a little could be a problem.... The difference we are talking about is flashing faster or slower no big deal.

Paix

I read the manual and saw the example but it is pretty poor. Is there a PICAXE programmer guide with better examples, details and explanations?
Ha, ha. Yes, there is a dynamic version available online.

I seem to think that you are reading it at the moment . .

Sorry if I disappoint. I can commiserate that due to the differences in port/pin reference style of the 08M and other chips, certain examples specifying the other chips leave you a little out of it at the fine detail level at times. With a little experience it is undoubtedly no trouble but a minor impediment to the absolute beginner who hasn't browsed the complete manuals. Kids come to mind; in their rush to get results the manuals seem like so much reading . . . :)

PaulRB

No doubt I will need some 5 volt regulator IC's (no big deal, suggestions?).
Hi gmcjetpilot, I don't think anyone answered one of your original questions, so here's my chance to make a contribution to the forum!

Voltage regulator 78L05 only provides around 100mA, but that should be more than enough for this job, and they're cheap and tiny.

Next suggestion: instead of toggle or rotary switches, how about 2 momentary push switches with built-in LED illuminators? You could wire the illuminators to the same output pins that are driving the 2 FETs, so the pilot can see at a glance what the status of the exterior lights is, even in daylight.

Mount the 2 buttons next to each other so they can be pressed individually or together with 2 fingers. A short press of either or both would switch the corresponding external lights on or off. A longer press (> 2 secs) would start either or both of them flashing. An even longer press (> 4 secs) would start fast flashing. This would enable quite a few combinations, e.g. steady on left with flashing on right, etc.

Last edited:
Voltage regulator 78L05 only provides around 100mA, but that should be more than enough for this job, and they're cheap and tiny.
Nice tip!

Next suggestion: instead of toggle or rotary switches, how about 2 momentary push switches with built-in LED illuminators? You could wire the illuminators to the same output pins that are driving the 2 FETs, so the pilot can see at a glance what the status of the exterior lights is, even in daylight.
Nice tip. I will think about it. It is not "standard" airplane switch-ology, but it's cleaver. It only adds LED push button momentary switches and a few extra wires. COOL!

I originally rejected the push buttons because the STATUS of the system is switch position, ie toggle up or down, or some kind of label. "Scrolling" through different settings with a buttons is OK but too ambiguous. Your idea of LED indicators, some what solves that. However in flash I assume the LED would flash and would be distracting. I think that might be solved with a small capacitor to keep the LED steady even in flashing mode. The programing would require it to "Poll" the switch positions every second or two.

Mount the 2 buttons next to each other so they can be pressed individually or together with 2 fingers. A short press of either or both would switch the corresponding external lights on or off. A longer press (> 2 secs) would start either or both of them flashing. An even longer press (> 4 secs) would start fast flashing. This would enable quite a few combinations, e.g. steady on left with flashing on right, etc.
There might be some small timing issues, where you have to push and hold to get a change, but that is acceptable. You just have to be careful you don't get some unwanted combinations. It does not make sense to have one flash and one steady.

A single push button with two LEDS might work better, Push: Both, L, R, Flash, OFF ...... (repeat successive pushes). The two LED's would give status. Again flashing LED not a good thing on the panel of a plane, so that would have to be addressed.

This gets to be a little ODD in the airplane world. However indicator lights (LED's) are fine. For day-night operation it might need a dim for night, so the LED's don't blind you but day are birght for easy ID..

There is something about throw a toggle or turn a switch and it's done, that is easier and no LED's, but your idea is under advisement. The beauty of a micro is you can program it and change it.

Last edited: