New program editor

w0es

I would like to relate a experience I just encountered using latest programming software. I have a good stock of 18x's and use them for most of my projects. I am building a new project and when I went to program the 18x it would not program! I tested the programming cable, reloaded the drivers for the USB to serial converter, re-installed the editor,changed the comm. port, changed 5c supply etc. and checked the wiring many times and all without success. I even attempted to clear the memory on working 18x assemblies and could not alter them in any way!

I scanned the posts on this great forum and found a post talking about programming an 18x at 3.3vdc. I replaced the 5vdc. supply with a 3.3vdc. supply and all went well, I then tried the 5v again and again NO success!
I spent many hours trying to find the problem thinking it was my actions causing this problem.

All my 18x'x were previously programmed at 5v ( with the older editor) and no problem was ever encountered. There is no problem with the 5v supply and all my projects are working fine using this 5v supply.

I can only conclude that the new editor has a problem with 18x's. There is
a note stating the 18x is being replaced with the 18m2.

Am I incorrect about the new programmer not liking the 18x?
Is the older version editor available?

Thank-Earl

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Thanks for the feedback Earl but there's nothing in the Programming Editor which could like or not like particular voltages at the download interface. The Programming Editor simply throws bytes of data at the operating system which conveys them through the USB cable, returns bytes the other way.

The situation does suggest that there is an issue between the voltage the USB cable is putting out and what the PICAXE is expecting; lowering the PICAXE power supply is equivalent to raising the USB-supplied signal. Why that should be is not clear.

Which USB cable are you using ? Have you changed cable or PC since previously programming at 5V ?

What would be worth trying, with power supply at 5V and 3V3, is a serial port test ( View -> Options -> Serial Port -> Test Port ) to see what voltages are read on the Serial In pin.

w0es

Thanks Hippy, I appreciate your reply.

I read -.46v standing on pin#3 and when I program the chip it goes to +1.76
at 3.3 or 5v.

?
Earl

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
1.76V is faulty. Even low cost 'ebay' USB adapters should get to 3V. Is this measured with the LED test Hippy indicated?

Check the 10k is on the correct (computer) side of the 22k and the rest of your download circuit.

w0es

Yes, those were the readings per Hippy's suggestion. I have made a new
cable with a new female db-9 connector with a new plug,and new wiring, to the adapter cable. The male connector contacts appear clean, but still the same results.

The serial adapter is db-9 to Usb bought on the internet (USB-BF-03) and has worked fine for years with Picaxes. I unplugged all other usb cables to see if the usb bus may be loaded, but did not change anything. I checked the resistor values and they are correct.

The 10k is on the computer side of the 22k.

Should I conclude that my usb to serial is defective and the change of the editor is just coincidence?

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Earl

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The 08M and 18X have different 'threshold' points, so the 08M works with a lower voltage than the 18X. However the 1.76V is far too low for anything to be reliable, so does imply a defective USB adapter (assuming all wiring is correct).