New Open Source "Breadboard" Software that produces Eagle schematics and Eagle PCB

New Open Source "Breadboard" Software that produces Eagle schematics and Eagle PCB

I don't know if anyone has already posted this information, my apologies if that is true, but there is a relatively new Open Source (free) software that takes a keyed in Breadboard layout and converts it to an Eagle compatible Schematic and an Eagle compatible PCB. There is also a company that purpots to be able to make cheap PCBs for anyone that wishes.

All details in several languages can be found here:- http://fritzing.org/

By the way, I am no expert, I only found it a few days ago myself and don't have anything to test it on, so perhaps other members will take the chance and let us know.

Regards

Andy

I have been browsing around the Fritzing website and looking at even more YouTube videos and Frtzing does far, far more than I even dreamed about, including SMD believe it or not. I have not even really scratched the surface with my comments here....

This appears to be "one Hell of a program!".....

regards

Andy

techElder

I never did see what "Fritzing"'s advantage was beyond converting a fixed breadboard circuit into a schematic. That's not even the difficult part of the whole process.

lbenson

Interesting, and surely warrants further investigation: sample board cost: "One Arduino Shield costs 29€". I like the possibility of Eagle board output, because one could then use the US board service, DorkbotPDX ($5US per square inch for 3 boards): http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order (I'm not affiliated).

Dear Texasclodhopper,

Then you obviously haven't looked at any of the YouTube videos showing all the different PCB types that can be used, or adding/changing to SMD parts to a schematic or PCB design......I only mentioned a tiny bit of its capabilities to wet your appetites.......

Although I am no expert either, it would appear that this (free) software could replace most other PCB/schematic/design software for a hobbyist, or even a professional with a small purse, or just starting up......

Also development is not finished, there are more goodies coming along as development progresses.....

Please be so kind as to do a search on YouTube and take 30 minutes or so to look at the various videos available, I think you are in for a surprise!

regards

Andy

techElder

Please reduce the "sales speak" and describe what Fritzling does that can't be done by any other PCB design software. I'm sure that an objective description will make everyone switch to it and throw out all the inferior stuff they've been using. ;)

This Fritzling software may be new to you, but it's been around for some time and isn't exactly ubiquitous.

... you obviously haven't looked at any of the YouTube videos showing all the different PCB types that can be used, or adding/changing to SMD parts to a schematic or PCB design ... I am no expert either, it would appear that this (free) software could replace most other PCB/schematic/design software for a hobbyist, or even a professional with a small purse, or just starting up....

graynomad

In general Fritzing is hated by experienced people because laying out components as they are in the real world is (usually) very confusing for somebody that's used to proper schematics.

I think that Fritzing can generate schematics in it's own format but if what I've seen is the result of that it's largely indecipherable.

I wasn't aware that it can do Eagle files but I'm sure the results would be terrible (even most human-generated Eagle schematics are terrible)

On forums like Arduino a post asking for help with a Fritzing diagram will normally be ignored unless it's a VERY simple design, like a push button and a pullup resistor.

Moving on to PCB generation, even with careful manual layout of the components by a human auto routing is normally a complete joke that takes as long to fix as it would have done to do the job yourself in the first place.

Adding the placement of components as well to the mix would I'm 101% sure create a total dog's breakfast.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong and maybe Fritzing has improved a lot of late, but I doubt it.

There ain't no free lunch when it comes to proper schematics and good PCB design I'm afraid.

Last edited:

John West

I wanna know how to "wet" my appetite. Water, perhaps? I've also been accused of having dry humor that might be improved upon with a bit of "wet."

Dippy

I've never used it (or even heard of it) so I won't instantly poo-poo it.
It may be useful to some.

Though, at a personal level, every time a new CAD is mentioned I get this "Oh no , not another one!" feeling. :)

These days, for small circuits, I tend to do a schematic on a 'proper' CAD and transfer it to breadboard rather than the other way around - but then, of course, I'm old fashioned.

Digressing onto Autorouters; I tend to agree with the points made. The only ones I've used that are really impressive are the expensive ones. For most circuits I do it manually especially Switcher/RF designs, though some give the option of selective autorouting so you can combine your PC with your brain. That's merely a personal preference.

But then again I'm odd as I prefer the not-popular ODB++ Output to Gerber - but no-one else seems to :)
I must go and see my Shrink about that.

Goeytex

I think my only use for this would be to use the breadboard layout and then capture the image to post somewhere.
The breadboard layout allows using diagonal wires and the wires can be moved, and resized with the mouse.
The component library is rather bare.

Last edited: