New/My 08M Proto Board

Tasp

Hi guys,

Currently there is no pre-made board I'm aware of anyway that does just this. I know there are Proto boards but I want something I can, once built just put in a box without making another up on stripboard which often ends poorly.

The idea is to have one multi purpose board based around an 08m2 for my different projects rather than using stripboard etc. I know I cannot program the chip on this board, this is ok as I purchased a cheap ZIF socket which I use then port on to my strip boards. I like things small so the download socket/molex takes valuable real estate in my opinion.

Now before I get 50 or so of these board made up would you guys give me your opinions on whether this will work or not, all comments good or bad very gratefully received.

Now bear in mind this is a multi purpose board so not all components will be used on all projects.

For instance if we are using all the pins as outputs the transistors, R8 10k SIL and the R3,5,6,7 1k's will be fitted however if we are using the pin as an input the transistor and associated resistor will be linked across and not installed (obviously).

The R8 10k SIL will always be installed, as whether IN/OUT will always need to be pulled down.

VR1/2, 2 different voltage regulators could be fitted, one giving 100/150ma or 7805 1A.

J1, jumper, will have the program test for input to change the way it runs. Is the 10k Sil pulling this down to ground ok?

DCC - Standard 104 decoupling cap

T2 and T3, T2 Serial IN, used for connecting 2 of these boards together, T3 can be used as either the output data to work long side T3 or used as a single wire data IN/OUT as discussed here

C1 as this is on the Input side this will be a 25v 100nf, while C2 being the output side will be a 10v 100nf.

Vout+ is a 5v+ for use as the reference to the inputs (when OP3, 5,6 or 7 are used an input). Am I correct in thinking that resistors R3,5,6,7 won't need to be used when used as inputs as the 10k SIL will pull to ground.

D1 Standard polarity diode. D2 Power on LED.

Transistors used are:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Bc639-Tran-Npn-80v-1a-To92-81-0080

Cap's used are:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/100uf-25v-105deg-Nrsz-Electro-Capacitor-11-1545

Thanks in advance for your time reading this thread.

Last edited:

srnet

Cant make out the PCB at all, yellow on white is more or less unreadable.

"I know I cannot program the chip on this board, this is ok as I purchased a cheap ZIF socket which I use then port on to my strip boards. I like things small so the download socket/molex takes valuable real estate in my opinion"

Does not make sense to not fit a program socket and circuit, in my view, and considerably reduces the usefullness of a develeopment board.

Tasp

Guys thanks for speedy responses.

Cant make out the PCB at all, yellow on white is more or less unreadable.

Does not make sense to not fit a program socket and circuit, in my view, and considerably reduces the usefullness of a develeopment board.
That's why I added the 2nd pdf with more readable colours.

@Tasp
I'll second srnet's comment re the lack of programming pins.

For small, see

http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE230

And, can you provide a schematic please?

e
This board is more geared toward end project, from my perspective.
If I really want to program "onboard" I can always use T2 and a clamp onto the chip (as in srnet post 2) the 10k resistor is already in place.
As for eclectic's SMD 08m board tiny yes but doesn't have all necessary other components so would still need stripboard to complete each project and at £10 each! I think I'll give it a miss.

As for a schematic, sorry I don't, it took me a month working on this in the evenings to get this far, this was just drawn straight to pcb.

I understand it's a lot to ask for, getting you to spend your time tracing pcb tracks etc, I think it should all be ok but just wanted that last push to say yep it should work.

eclectic

As for eclectic's SMD 08m board tiny yes but doesn't have all necessary other components so would still need stripboard to complete each project and at £10 each! I think I'll give it a miss.

As for a schematic, sorry I don't, it took me a month working on this in the evenings to get this far, this was just drawn straight to pcb.

I understand it's a lot to ask for, getting you to spend your time tracing pcb tracks etc, I think it should all be ok but just wanted that last push to say yep it should work.
1. I was not saying buy Rev Ed's mini board, simply that it showed an example of "small".

2. It IS a lot to ask.
Honestly, IMHO, it is essential to provide a schematic.

e

westaust55

There is also the Rev Ed AXE021 proto-board for 8 pin PICAXE chips.
http://www.techsupplies.co.uk/epages/Store.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE021
Includes the programming circuit, proto area, jumper for the Serial Out/IO0 pin switching, decoupling cap.

If you want a further review of your own proposal, then I suggest taht you post a schematic of the board circuit.
That would better help show the flexibility (or otherwise) of the intended approach.

Personanlly I have used the AXE021 for a number of smaller simple projects (including one with a temp and humidity sensor and 433 MHz radio tx module).
Have one with most of the proto area cut away and header pins and sockets fo plugging into a breadboard for quick 08M/M2 based tests/experiments.

Goeytex

I would want something that would have the flexibility to go beyond an 08M2. And on-board programming would be a necessity for me.

A while back I made up a personal Dev Board that uses a 20 pin socket. That way I can use 08m2,14m2,18m2,20m2 or 20x2 depending upon project requirements. Sometimes more than an 08m2 is needed. Jumper selectable for external power or USB power with a 3.3v LD0 on board that is also jumper selectable.

I left space for an EEPROM, resistors, caps and other what nots. Two I/0 headers take all the signals in/out. Could also plug a "daughter card" onto the headers. One of these days I may lay it out in Diptrace, shrink it a bit, and order a few up.

srnet

Well ...... plenty of space on that PCB for the programming circuit, you only need to add one resistor and 3 pads.

I have always added the program circuits to my finished PCBs also, and they would seem to be compulsory on a 'Proto' boards.

The most space efficient way I have found is to just have 3 square pads near the board edge (picture in previous post).

Then either fit a vertical or angled 3 pin header, or just form some small wire loops and connect via grab hooks when needed.

manuka

For those new to the Forum I point out that the NZ designed (& PICAXE friendly) Kiwi Patch Board continues to win praise. It fosters initial development on solderless breadboard, then - when circuitry is tamed- simple lift over for the soldered version. The end result looks pretty professional, & if the board is too large for ones needs it can readily be trimmed to size.Outside NZ it's stocked by PH Anderson (USA) & MicroZed (Australia).

Check Andrew's applications for insights. Stan.

Tasp

Thanks to all that have replied, however not really the type of replies I was hoping for. Maybe this question would be more suited to a PCB forum rather than the PICAXE one.

It appears the thread has turned from "can anyone see a flaw in this PCB design" to "why haven't you included a programming connection, as I do.". the later is simple, apart from space, I simply don't want to. However suggesting the pads at the edge and using clips is a good idea and maybe added anyway.

So without further ado, thanks for the responses.

srnet

Well, what did you expect, you did say;

"Now before I get 50 or so of these board made up would you guys give me your opinions on whether this will work or not, all comments good or bad very gratefully received"

srnet

However suggesting the pads at the edge and using clips is a good idea and maybe added anyway.
On this point, you can buy specific test points for the purpose.

Otherwise just form a loop of wire over a small drill or similar. Gold plated wire used to be common on some components, use it if you can find a few mm.

Tasp

What I expected was;

Well, what did you expect, you did say;

"Now before I get 50 or so of these board made up would you guys give me your opinions on whether this will work or not, all comments good or bad very gratefully received"
Not whether I needed a download socket.

Tasp

Adding another post to get my count up, as it seems the current thing to do.
On this point, you can buy specific test points for the purpose.

Otherwise just form a loop of wire over a small drill or similar. Gold plated wire used to be common on some components, use it if you can find a few mm.
Hard drawn wire (solid core) would be good for loops however SMD type pads would work on a custom PCB.

MartinM57

What do/did you mean by "work or not" then? I'm afraid I'm not really minded to trace an upside down mirror image picture of a PCB to attempt to deduce whether it will "work or not"

..but as you've now taken your toys home by deleting the images, good luck in your endeavours :D

Tasp

What do/did you mean by "work or not" then? I'm afraid I'm not really minded to trace an upside down mirror image picture of a PCB to attempt to deduce whether it will "work or not"

..but as you've now taken your toys home by deleting the images, good luck in your endeavours :D
Well it wasn't mirrored for a start, upside down it was, but I assumed wrongly obviously that some people would be able to find the rotate button in Adobe reader.
If tracing a PCB wasn't for you then obviously there was no need to reply, so me and my toys (which were useless apparently) will indeed hopefully have better luck on a more friendly forum, didn't realise there was such a "click" here.
I mean it wasn't as if I'd just turned up and wanted someone to do it for me.
I can only hope that the recent posters here ask a question on a subject their not sure about on a seemingly hostile forum and get a similar response and find out what it's like not to have all the answers.

Now as this thread is no longer about PicAXE's, I suggest we draw this to a close.

Last edited:

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
The vast majority of PICAXE users always add a download socket onto every single project board, one of the key features of the PICAXE system is that it is very easy to reprogram 'in position' and to also debug/test programs with a sertxd/debug command. Moving chips back and forward to a different board for programming is very time consuming, and completely removes the debugging capability from the system.

Therefore it is worthwhile understanding that not to include the download socket on a PICAXE board is extremely uncommon, and most experienced PICAXE users, and indeed our technical support team, would indeed consider it a PCB design flaw - so in effect the PICAXE system would not work to its full ability on such a board.