New items for the Program Editor & PICAXE

teddy7

I would like to see three new functions for the Program Editor. :confused:

1. "dual-tone"- Hear 2 tones at the same time. (Like DTMF does)
Stamp can do this, so let's add it for the PICAXE! ;)

2. Add a "minute" function so we won't have to do this via
calculation in ms, or LOOPING. "minute 90" would count to
90 minutes, at the 'default Clock' speed.

3. "pcspkr" Ability to send sound from the Program Editor to the
PC's Speaker. Enable for both 'sound' function and the 'tune'
function.

westaust55

From my knowledge:
Adding the capability to generate a corresponding sound on the PC when the appropriate command is used in the PE simulator is certainly feasible.

However to add a new command to the PICAXE command set may not be anywhere near so easy.
1. It would need a new firmware revision for each PICAXE chip involved to accomplish this
2. The new commands need PIC memory space which is likely not available. I am sure Rev Ed already add as many features as they can within the bounds of the available PIC program memory space.

Last edited:

teddy7

From my knowledge:
Adding the capability to generate a corresponding sound on the PC when the appropriate command is used in the PE simulator is certainly feasible.

However to add a new command to the PICAXE command set may not be anywhere near so easy.
1. It would need a new firmware revision for each PICAXE chip involved to accomplish this
2. The new commands need PIC memory space which is likely not available. I am sure Rev Ed already add as many features as they can within the bounds of the available PIC program memory space.
Thanks, westaust55 I certainly understand about the space used-up in the PIC.
Thanks for writing back. [One can dream!]
-teddy7

tjetson

The minute thing needn't necessarily be a proper command, it could be something that is converted to a pause command with milliseconds at download (ie the Editor converts the minutes to milliseconds and downloads a proper pause command to the Picaxe when the download button is pushed)

On second thought, this might not be very feasible considering 1 minute is 60 seconds, or 60,000 milliseconds, which is pushing it in terms of the maximum capacity of a word variable.

westaust55

It could be done, but as a form of Macro where the user must also specify say a byte variable (if a limit of 255 minutes was acceptable).

For example:

#Minutes 10, b0

Then have the PE at download time convert that to

FOR b0 = 1 TO 10
PAUSE 60000
NEXT b0

But at the end of the day will Rev Ed impliment such
and ultimately, how difficult is it for the user to type in the FOR...NEXT construct

teddy7

It could be done, but as a form of Macro where the user must also specify say a byte variable (if a limit of 255 minutes was acceptable).

For example:

#Minutes 10, b0

Then have the PE at download time convert that to

FOR b0 = 1 TO 10
PAUSE 60000
NEXT b0

But at the end of the day will Rev Ed impliment such
and ultimately, how difficult is it for the user to type in the FOR...NEXT construct
--------

I DO use this way of looping for longer time. I was hoping one of the other commands, nap, sleep...etc. be replace with Minute.

I also know where your coming from about using space up in a PICAXE.
No problem, I'll go with the flow! :eek:

Last edited:

teddy7

problem?

Post #7 written by Teddy7 quotes Teddy7 and thanks Teddy7 for the code:confused:

and who's Benny?

I don't know what your problem is, but this is NO place to bicker at?
You must have to much time on your hands. If you have a problem,
write me a private msg. and tell me your complaint! :confused: This forum
is for PICAXE.

Last edited:

Dippy

Just light-hearted teasing I'm sure :) .

I think it was because your original post#7 (which you have now deleted) looked odd.
Maybe you quoted yourself accidentally and meant to quote Westy?
Ah well, life's too short to worry.

BeanieBots

I don't know what your problem is, but this is NO place to bicker at?
My problem was that I didn't have the faintest idea what your post (which you have now deleted) was all about:confused:

As for bickering, don't take it to heart. It was more like leg pulling. It was quite obvious that you'd made some sort of mistake so I was giving you the oportunity to explain what you really had meant to post.

Never mind, (some Dude)

Dippy

I really like "dude" and "cool" - they're so quaint and old fashioned.
Whereas, "My Bad" and stuff like that is just so totally schoolkiddy.

I was watching the latest series of the "Mentalist" last night. I notice the femail voice mannerism of quack-quack-quack-croak is being used by 8 year olds now - who says the media doesn't affect people?

Anyway... back to the new items wishlist...

slimplynth

Wish List..

...a link on the dialogue/warning message when a download fails.. the link would take you to a sticky on the forum where common download problems have been resolved.

teddy7

Just light-hearted teasing I'm sure :) .

I think it was because your original post#7 (which you have now deleted) looked odd.
Maybe you quoted yourself accidentally and meant to quote Westy?
Ah well, life's too short to worry.

Yes, exactly.