New! Improved! Better, even! The Final Poll Part 2

Your favourite PICAXE(s)? *multiple choices ok!

• 08M

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • 14M

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • 18M

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 20M

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 18X

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • 28X1 / 40X1

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 20X2

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • 28X2

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • 40X2

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nbw

OK, so here's the poll done better, like. Good suggestion Hippy. Please feel free to vote again, and for other options this time.

Kind regards,
Barney

nick12ab

No 18m2?

A question for the forum administrator - are the amount of poll options limited by vbulletin or by you? I'd imagine that 10 is the default setting but if vBulletin can make a forum, I don't see why they'd only implement 10 poll options.

nbw

Hi Nick. All the newish puppies - the 08M2, 14M2 etc didn't make it into this poll, it was mainly for the old skool ones, bless 'em.

:)

westaust55

with the heading having no reference to PICAXE chips and including the text "The Final Poll"
does this mean there will never be another poll on the forum? ;)

SAborn

Considering the number of forum members and looking at the number of votes cast, it is not a very good indication of preference.

Be nice if Rev-ed released some actual sales figures for 2011 on the different chip ranges to give a better indication of actual chip preference.

Dippy

Maybe everyone is waiting for nbw to produce a really, really final poll.
Anyway, it's fun for some I'm sure.

John West

Purchasing any number of a given PICAXE chip doesn't mean that version is your favorite, so sales numbers don't really come into it. I usually choose the 20X2 just to play with on the workbench because of its versatility, but will purchase 08M's if that's all that my specific projects require.

fernando_g

Could do, but it would have to be The Final Poll Part 3...

A
Or title like a Hollywood movie; The Final Poll, Reloaded

Now seriously...these numbers do not reflect the actual number of units sold, but the user's personal preferences once that he/she has used the devices.

For instance....The poll does reveal the fact that the 08M is a very popular device due to the fact that it packs a surprising amount of punch in a small and inexpensive package.

nick12ab

Hi Nick. All the newish puppies - the 08M2, 14M2 etc didn't make it into this poll, it was mainly for the old skool ones, bless 'em.:)
But like the X1 parts, the 28X2 and 40X2 could be condensed into one and then 28X/40X could have been there.

nbw

Yeah, that's true - a downside of having just 10 options...

I had a 40X that ran an aquarium controller (on about 1900 bytes of code) managing pumps, halide lights, fluoros, dosing pumps, heaters... the works. Ran beautifully for years. It had an RTC set-up so it would auto-adjust for daylight savings too.

She was all legs, that girl :)

nick12ab

I had a 40X that ran an aquarium controller (on about 1900 bytes of code) managing pumps, halide lights, fluoros, dosing pumps, heaters... the works. Ran beautifully for years. It had an RTC set-up so it would auto-adjust for daylight savings too.
So why isn't it still running?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Well, the poll's closed and the results are in. Listing all PICAXE types with this poll on the left, last poll on the right the votes were as below. '-' means not counted individually ( votes combined under others ), and '*' are the votes for 28X1 and 40X1 combined ( 5 in total ), split 3:1 as per the first poll.

Though it wasn't possible to have a vote per PICAXE I think the choices here were a good compromise, considerably reducing the 'other' vote, revealing 28X2 and 40X2 support and I wouldn't say the X1 combination really distorts the results.

Code:
Voters   39 ( multi )       58 ( single choice)

08        -                  0
08M      23    58.97%       15   25.86%

14M       4    10.26%        2    3.45%

18        -                  -
18A       -                  -
18M       1     2.56%        -
18X      11    28.21%       11   18.97%

20M       2     5.13%        -
20X2     15    38.46%       14   24.14%

28        -                  -
28A       -                  -
28X       -                  0
28X1      *     9.61%        3    5.17%
28X2     14    35.90%        -

40X       -                  0
40X1      *     3.21%        1    1.72%
40X2      7    17.95%        -

other     3     7.69%       12   20.69%
And the sorted results are ...

Code:
08M      23    58.97%       15   25.86%
20X2     15    38.46%       14   24.14%
28X2     14    35.90%        -
18X      11    28.21%       11   18.97%
40X2      7    17.95%        -
14M       4    10.26%        2    3.45%
28X1      *     9.61%        3    5.17%
20M       2     5.13%        -
40X1      *     3.21%        1    1.72%
18M       1     2.56%        -
As to what those results actually say or mean ...

Last edited:

Goeytex

I think the poll speaks very loudly as to the past popularity of the now retired 08M
and current popularity the 20X2.

With the 08M2 replacing the 08M, and the 18X no longer available, my guess is that 08M2
and the 20X2 are RevEd's most popular current Picaxe offerings, with the 18M2 and 20M2
not too far behind.

Jamster

Is there any chance that Technical can post the sales figures for PICAXE even if they were just last years etc. It would be interesting to see if the popularity resembles the number of sales (I assume it will though).

Minifig666

Obviously the 08Mxs will be, per unit sold, the most popular product. Packs of 50 going out to schools will boost it up a long way. (It would be interesting to see which Market sells the most units).As it's been said, the 08M is a brilliant little thing for the money, and cheap too. It's amazing what you see people doing with them so I'm not surprised they won!I was a bit surprised the 40xs didn't do better, considering the amount of raw POWAH they offer, but they can be a bit scary to handle! :eek:

papaof2

40X scary? No, just check your helmet and tighten your seatbelt ;-)

A friend asked for assistance designing a prototype semi-autonomous locating/tracking device. My design used a 40X2, a 28X2, and a uM-FPU (managing a GPS and about a dozen other peripheral devices). The person funding the project has decided that I2C between chips is too complicated (i.e., he doesn't understand it) and that a 32 bit ARM chip (probably in the Cortex series) would be a better choice (the ARM chip includes a vector FPU). Many of the peripherals are I2C, so the need to understand it will still be there. I don't think he's discovered how much configuration is required to get the pins on one of these chips to perform the functions needed - what the PICAXE does with the SFRs behind the scenes must be done by the programmer (READTEMP is a marvelous simplification of the one wire process). If the potential market were in the tens of thousands, I would say the economics made sense (~$5 for one chip versus $40 for 3 chips), but for potentially a few hundred units, the cost of the switch to C/C++ development will likely exceed any savings on the chip/board cost because it will take several months to translate existing functional code to the new platform.

Oh well. I did get to play with a multi-PICAXE breadboard and some cutting edge toys as I assembled the prototype and tested the interfaces to the "goodies": 3-axis accelerometer, servo mounted laser, FRAM, I2C digital compass, I2C thermometer, etc.

John

nbw

I sold the tank as the kids demanded more time, and I thought "why not eh".

:)

So I stripped the controller down and reused the bits.

nbw

I can't remember if I posted some pix of the ol' tank, 40x controller etc - if so, apologies. If not, here're some:

40x_1.jpg40x_2.jpg

nbw

I think the poll speaks very loudly as to the past popularity of the now retired 08M
and current popularity the 20X2.

With the 08M2 replacing the 08M, and the 18X no longer available, my guess is that 08M2
and the 20X2 are RevEd's most popular current Picaxe offerings, with the 18M2 and 20M2
not too far behind.
That's a good way of summarising it!
I think over time the 20M2 will become the popular beast - a great price, has more toe than a Roman sandal and has tons of IO to boot.