Need to drop voltage

Tim Vukman

Can someone recommend the best way to lose about 1/2 a volt or so?

I am trying to use a 74LS32 quad OR gate to combine 4 imputs to 1. The logic is straight forward, but I am presenting 1.08 volts to the inputs of the 74LS32 before I push a button to make the input high.

The 74LS32 will read anything above .8 as a logic high.

Therefore, my outputs from the 32 are always going to be high.

All suggestions welcome, even if circuit changes required.

Thanks

Tim

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Run the inputs through diodes joined together ( and maybe through another 'for good luck' ) and you might not even need an OR gate, but you will need a ~10K pull-down on the input pin.

Tim Vukman

Thanks!

It looks like the diodes win.

Just so I am clear. I have my inputs coming in to the input pins and then I take a diode from each input pin and tie 1 end together (the end with the bar I presume).

Then I run another diode from the joined end to the final input (bar end to the final input) and I hold the final input low with a 10K resistor.

Please confirm

Thanks

Tim

Tim Vukman

Thanks Hippy

Hi Mycroft2152

The inputs are coming from a keypad. I am using 4 outputs to send the 4 rows high 1 at a time in a constant loop.

Each of the columns goes to a 10K to ground and also to an input pin on the 28X.

I can pull a unique key number for each of the keys and save it in a variable. My issue is that I only have one interrupt to work with.

That's what lead to the idea on "OR"ing the inputs into one. That's what I will do with the Diodes.

Since any keypress will send the final single input high, I hope to use that to drive the interrupt and then capture the key number in a variable

Thanks for asking

Tim

Tim Vukman

Hi:

The 5 diodes are in place and each of my 4 inputs pulls the 5th one high! Thanks

Now, if I can figure out how to make the interrupt routine do what I want, a major hurdle will have been crossed!

Tim

Mycroft2152

Glad to hear it works!

Is it a hex keypad?

If you want to reduce the overhead on the PICAXE, consider the mm74C922. It's a hex keypad interface chip with 4 binary outputs and a keypressed output.

I'm not saying don't do it all in the PICAXE. Just offering an alternative. Sometimes its better to add in one of these simple chips.

Myc

Tim Vukman

Sorry for the delay

No, it appears to be a binary keypad. I wouldn't mind reducing the pin count. I will look up the chip you mentioned.

Thanks

Tim