Need Help to get a BAS800 Serial/USB Pic programmer to work

Grant666

Hi

I have bought a BAS800 Serial /USB Pic Programmer off Wiltronics. This came with a CAB010 9Pin D to 3.5mm stereo plug cable that plugs into the unit for comms.

I have had to buy a USB to Serial ( 9 pin D ) converter cable.

The Picaxe software can pikc up the the serial cable on the com ports but I get a "hardware not found" report come up when I try to download to the 08m2.

So Im not sure if i need to use different software to download into the picaxe with this device?

So if anyone could shed some light on what I need to do, that would be wonderful

Thank you

westaust55

While it may not help you, From another thread, a statement by Technical:

The BAS800 is a mature retired product that supports older legacy raw PIC chips such as the 629/627/84/88 etc. Programming via BAS800 will not be added to PE6 as it does not support the modern generation of PIC chips that are now in use. PE6 will instead export files for use in other programmers.
For 'C' or 'assembler' programming of raw PC chips we would now recommend something like Microchip's PICKit3. When the BAS800 was first designed in the 1990's there wasn't much choice in low cost programmers, however now the main manufacturer (Microchip) also produces their own (and keeps it up to date with every single new part release) it is more logical to use theirs.

Also have a read of this thread:
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?10008-BAS800-programmer-and-16F886

cravenhaven

Hi Grant666,
If you just want to use picaxe chips such as the 08m2 with the PE5/6 software then you dont need the BAS800 programmer. Have a look at manual 1 on the picaxe site (http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf) and see how you can program the chip directly from PE software. You just need to connect power to the chip and the transmit/receive pins via the resistors as shown on page 8 of the manual.

edit: Just mount the 08m2 chip on a breadboard, not the bas800 programmer.

Grant666

progammer

Hi Grant666,
If you just want to use picaxe chips such as the 08m2 with the PE5/6 software then you dont need the BAS800 programmer. Have a look at manual 1 on the picaxe site (http://www.picaxe.com/docs/picaxe_manual1.pdf) and see how you can program the chip directly from PE software. You just need to connect power to the chip and the transmit/receive pins via the resistors as shown on page 8 of the manual.

edit: Just mount the 08m2 chip on a breadboard, not the bas800 programmer.
Thanks for the advise, pity the mob that sold it to me dont state anything on their website telling you it wont do certain chips or run with newer versions software... argh ! I shall make up some nice dedicated breadboards to program different chips on.

AllyCat

Hi,

To avoid any more nasty surprises, beware that the most recent (small) PICAXEs have 8, 14 or 20 pins. But it's easy to make a 3.5mm jack to "pins" adapter because they all use the same "top 4" pins for Supply/Gnd and Programming In/Out.

Also beware that for Programming, PICaxe uses "Real" RS232 (not "TTL RS232") signal polarity, with a "break signal" capability. The majority of USB-RS232 adapters (i.e. with a 9 pin D connector) should work fine, but do ask if you need more advice.

However, one of the great features of PICaxe is that you don't need a "Programmer"; that and most run-time "diagnostics" can be done directly via the dedicated "programming" pins.

Cheers, Alan.