my picaxe start kit arrived today!

tater1337

got the box from sparkfun today, containing a 14m starter kit.

I am goin gto see how much self control I have and not TOUCH it until tommorrow, which means I'll be disctracting myself by doing housework and such.

westaust55

PICAXE starter kits has arrived

maybe tongue in cheeck, but if not already done, you could steer clear of the house work, download and maybe even print off (double sided of course) the three parts to the PICAXE manuals and have a good read through them in preparation for you hands on commencement tomorrow.

Last edited:

tater1337

maybe tongue in cheeck, but if not already done, you could steer clear of the house work, download and maybe even print off (double sided of course) the three parts to the PICAXE manuals and have a good read through them in preparation for you hands on commencement tomorrow.
too late

It works!!!

just uploaded and ran
Code:
#Picaxe 18X
#Terminal 4800
Do
SerTxd( "I'm alive!", CR, LF )
Pause 1000
Loop
now to bolt it down to a breadboard, wire up a 12volt battery with an lm7805 and a servo plus room for a GPS. maybe I'll add a flashing LED just for fun! no one ever does that anymore, right?

Last edited:

Dippy

Great to hear it works. Getting over that first hurdle is always satisfying.

So, why aren't you smiling? :)

"maybe I'll add a flashing LED just for fun! no one ever does that anymore, right?"
- most people add a standard LED and make it flash ;)

MurrayJ

Dippy, maybe he isnt smiling because he bought a 14M and wrote the code for an 18X, obviously cant get it working, I wouldnt have a smile eather!

Sorry couldnt resist Tater. Have fun with the Picaxe, I know I do.

tater1337

Great to hear it works. Getting over that first hurdle is always satisfying.

So, why aren't you smiling? :)
beacuse it was 1am in the morning. too tired to smile.
"maybe I'll add a flashing LED just for fun! no one ever does that anymore, right?"
- most people add a standard LED and make it flash ;)
not enough sarcasm in my posts. hmmm, i'll get right on that

tater1337

Well spotted Murray,
clearly a 14M in the picture.
So what did you run that 18X code on tater?
on the 14m.

you know you can edit code, right? I copy and pasted, edited, downlaoded and ran it. when i posted to the forum it was already in the clipboard, so I forgot to re-edit it.

would it have worked anyway? at worst i could have just remmed it out

MPep

Yeah but if you had remmed it out, you would have had to specifically tell PE to that the target was a 14M.

I do use LEDs when I need to know if a part of my code is being used. Turn ON at start, and Off when the loop (or whatever) is finished. Also a good way to find out how long a loop takes if you use a scope, timer etc.

westaust55

on the 14m.

would it have worked anyway? at worst i could have just remmed it out
The programming Editor would have identified that the actual PICAXE (14M) did not match the directive when you tried to download and stopped at that point.

If you do not have the PICAXE directive at the start of your code, then you need to set the PICAXE type using the toolbar Options menu.

tater1337

I had renamed it after i loaded it, but also had the options set for the 14m

if the two were differnt, would an error show up or which would over-ride?