Multiple instances of Programming Editor?

I have been searching for the answer to this one in the archives, but to no avail :-(

Is there any way to have two instances of the Programming Editor running simultaneously?

I am working on serial communications between an 08M and 18X, and I would like to have one Editor setup for the 08M on Serial Port 1 and another for the 18X on Serial Port 2 so I don't have to repetitively change the Options settings back and forth as I work on the two programs.

I tried double-clicking on the Editor Icon when it's already running (which works on most programs), but no luck!

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You could try running it under Microsoft Virtual PC ( free to download / use ), but I don't know of any other way.

tarzan

This was possible with older versions of the Programming Editor. When I was running dual boot windows XP home I opened a second editor from the programs folder that was not the boot/system record. I don’t think it’s allowed with current version of editor.

To minimize changing setting you can use:

#picaxe 18X
#gosubs 16/256
#feq m4/m8/m16
#picaxe 08M

These will set the options when you program your Picaxe.

There is not one for com ports.

Fowkc

Maybe something for future editions of ProgEd. A toolbar that allows quick selection of different serial ports/frequencies/PICAXEs.

tarzan

I just tried using dual boot Windows XP home sp1 (no updates) & Windows XP home sp2 (fully updated). You can have two Programming Editors (V5.0.7) running at the same time.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
On Win98SE it just pops up a message saying "Duplicate, already running".

Thanks for all the feedback - I hope this feature will be added to the Editor.

Tarzan - Your reply gave me an idea that seems to work!

In Windows 2000 Professional, I made a duplicate of the "progedit" file, renamed the first one "progedit1" and the second one "progedit2". Then I created a shortcut to each of them on the desktop. I was able run two instances of the Editor this way.

Two minor "gotchas": Both windows are named "Program Editor", so I either have to remember which one I opened first (progedit1, naturally :) or look in the status bar to see which options are in effect (i.e., 08M & com1 or 18X and com2. Also, the options are not saved with the BASIC files. After quitting, both progedit1 and progedit2 always open with identical settings (the last ones I set).

However, once both instances are running an have their options set, it's a simple matter to jump back and forth with a single click in the program box (or whatever it's called) at the bottom of the screen.

That's a big help to me; maybe other's will find it useful too, or even find an easier way to accomplish the same thing!

wapo54001

VMWare is a virtual machine that will run separate software very effectively, much more capable than Windows virtual machine.

It seems that VMware is almost $200, which puts it a little out of my range. :)

Question for Hippy -

If I install Microsoft Virtual PC, do I also have to install Windows 2000 Professional again? (or a different version of Windows?) ... or can I somehow run the system I have twice?

If I need two operating systems installed, I doubt that I have enough hard drive space available.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You need to install a Windows version under the virtual machine, but that could be anything from Win95 upwards. You need to have licenses for the second OS AFAIR, and I guess we'll not discuss any possible ways to circumvent that here.

The whole virtual machine exists as a single file on disk ( Format C: Y/N? is scary ) and it can get quite big. I think it indicates what size it's likely to be when creating the disk.

Thanks Hippy,

I do own an older version of Windows, but that sounds a little intimidating to me - I think I'll stick with my little work-around for the time being.

Now all I need is a second monitor!

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
That copying ProgEdit.exe worked for me, so here's a special offering ...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.happy.hippy/picaxe/copype.exe

This will create a second copy of the Programming Editor which is hooked to have a different Application Title and allowed to have its own entirely independent settings.

Supplied "as is", use at your own risk, no guarantees of perfection. Only tested on win98SE.