mp3 playback module

Grogster

I bought another USB-SDHC reader from my local 99p store today for the SD connector, I might have a go at removing it from the reader and soldering wires onto the existing connector on the mp3 module.
Is it REALLY that much of a pain to insert or remove the card?
:rolleyes:

I like your idea of the tape - nice, quick, easy and cheap.

I guess, being an embedded module, they are not expecting you to swap the card that much - kind of a variation on "Set it, and forget it" mentality...

However, having said that, I have noticed it is a bit fiddly getting the card in and out during the testing phase on the workbench, so I certainly know what you mean. :p

EDIT: Down to ONE unit now!!! :D :D

You really did find a fantastic bit of kit there, Haku - my hat tips to you...

Haku

Is it REALLY that much of a pain to insert or remove the card?
:rolleyes:
If it's embedded in a device that's screwed together because that's the only way to properly test it, changing an mp3 or few means the awkwardness of taking the box apart to get to the SD card, navigating the wires that are attached to both halves of the device and making sure you don't accidentally snag a wire or dislodge something else that could mean unnecessary repairing.

Then yes, it can be a pain ;)

My first installation of one of these mp3 modules will be in something that has two different RF receivers, two picaxe chips with necessary circuitry, many wires, a speaker, amp & the mp3 module all to be crammed into an irregular shaped case, with wheels...

You really did find a fantastic bit of kit there, Haku - my hat tips to you...
I'm glad it turned out to be so good :)

MartinM57

Let's hope that there is a resilient supply chain so that they can get more, rather than they just found a few dozen somewhere and "when they've gone, they've gone" ;)

Always the problem when you put all your eggs in a basket made from a piece of kit from an unknown manufacturer and supplied by a company that isn't one of the "big boys" (Mouser, Farnell, Digikey, RS etc) where continuity of supply is more likely (but still not guaranteed)

Grogster

Let's hope that there is a resilient supply chain so that they can get more, rather than they just found a few dozen somewhere and "when they've gone, they've gone" ;)

Always the problem when you put all your eggs in a basket made from a piece of kit from an unknown manufacturer and supplied by a company that isn't one of the "big boys" (Mouser, Farnell, Digikey, RS etc) where continuity of supply is more likely (but still not guaranteed)
Earlier in this thread(you've been skipping posts!!! :D ), I confirmed that MDFLY are going to keep stocking this module, and I also have confirmation from the manufacturer that they are still making it.

MartinM57

...you've been skipping posts!!! :D ), ..
Correct. I don't read everything I see :D (and if you're referring to post #17, you seemed to add that bit the next day, so I may not have even seen that bit ;))

Good news then, hopefully...

Last edited:

Grogster

Tenda Electronics make several MP3 modules - and even an MP3 recorder - that could be useful...

I am eyeing up one of their other mp3 modules for another project:
http://www.tendaelectronics.com/?action=wareshow|tenda|128|en|117,427|427

This module has headphone pre-amp on-board, USB uploading of songs, and onboard FLASH memory. Only 32MB or 64MB, but for embedded applications, that is probably plenty. This one is serial control also.

Fully self-contained, no cards to swap etc... :p

I'll keep you all posted - I have e-mailed them for the datasheet, as you don't seem to be able to download them from the website. :(

Last edited:

Grogster

UPDATE: Unfortunately, the module in my last post, with the built-in FLASH is no longer being made, Tenda tell me, as it was much more expensive then modules with an SD card slot.

Unfortunate, but kinda makes sound economic sense.

Grogster

Tenda also do a more basic MP3 player module for US$5!!! :eek:
See attached.

Rename to plain .pdf file after download.

This little toy has BOTH SD card slot AND standard USB socket, so you can use either cards or flash-drives with this unit. :)

This one has no serial control though, but you could harness the next/previous buttons for simple tasks, depending on what you needed to do. I might get a few of these in as samples to play around with...

Attachments

Last edited:

Grogster

PREAMPLIFIER UPDATE:

Well, i've hooked up a 833 HiFi pre-amp in front of the MP3 player module, and now it can blow the socks off any stereo on the shelf.

I set the 833 for a gain of 26 or so using the standard OP-AMP gain formula(Gain=R1/R2+1), where R1 was 10k, and R2 was 390R.

I actually used a simple 833 preamp kit:
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=KJ8074&keywords=KJ8074&form=KEYWORD

A pre-amp with a gain of 25 or 26 odd is perhaps more then is needed, but that is the beauty of the OP-AMP circuit - customize to whatever you want. :D

EDIT: Dropped pre-amp gain back to about 10dB - 25/26 was just a bit much, and overdriving the inputs of at least one amp I tried it on. Gain of about 10 seems pretty good(R1=3k3). :)

With this gain, there is no audible decoder noise that I can pick up - even with quiet music.

Last edited:

Haku

Talking about op-amps you got me thinking, a few years ago I bought a pile of untested 5.5" LCD screen units for mounting on the back of car headrests, 2 of the 10 screens didn't work but during investigating how to get the screens working away from the main unit I found the main circuitboard uses a TDA2822 op-amp for driving the small speaker.

The inteference noise the DealExtreme amp picks up has been bugging me somewhat so I'm going to try and get the audio part of the circuit working, wether through unsoldering the necessary components or working out how to drive it direct, either way it looks tricky.

Grogster

By all means, go for it, but surely a nice wee HiFi preamp kit would save you much headache and stress trying to reverse engineer that LCD? Seriously - considder taking a look at any pre-amp based around the LM833 - this is an Op-Amp designed specifically for HiFi audio work - I will see if I can find the datasheet and upload it here.

The TDA2822 is a stereo power amplifier chip in an 8-pin DIL package.
Last time I used one, they were quite impressive(at the time), but I remember them being quite noisy - significant white-noise in the background, especially noticeable with the amp powered but idle(not amplifying anything).

IC based pre-amps and indeed, power amps, have taken quite a jump in the last few years in terms of quality and performance, and there are definitely better ones out there then the old 2822. :p

Still, if you are looking for something to do... :D

EDIT: Found and uploaded the 833 datasheet - this is still an impressive device, and it has been around for about 10 years at least - please correct me if I am wrong. With an 833 based pre-amp feeding a half-decent stereo system, you will blow your socks off, and it will be good quality sound - I know, as I have done it, and it sounds a million bucks. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Haku

Ok, I spent a bit of time tracing tracks on the audio section of the board, hooked in some input/output/power wires and almost got it working, then I took the chip off along with some other components and manged to get it working, although I don't think I wired it up correctly because it got hot even though it was sort of working. Trying to solder SMD components without proper circuitboards isn't easy.

Anyway after tinkering with that I went back to the DealExtreme amp and I figured out how to reduce most of the background noise from the mp3 module. When I originally soldered it up I blindly followed the circuit diagram which included inline resistors for limiting the audio volume input, but this time I rewired one with the tried-and-tested standard volume control configuration (gnd & signal on the outside, with wiper going to the amp input) and hey presto everything sounds great so long as I keep the mp3's volume at max and use an external volume control.

:D

I might go back to trying to get the TDA2822 circuit working in the future sometime, not very loud but could come in useful.

Grogster

The 2822 chip used to turn up in most of those amplified speakers you could get for connecting to your walkman - the old style cassette-tape walkman, that is! :D

I also used several of them whenever I needed a cheap, small and basic amplifier for anything at all - they were quite a clever device in their day, requiring only a few external components to make a complete stereo amplifier.

gmcurrie

Hi all,

I'm looking to put together a two-channel 'Drone Box' footpedal sample loop player - two momentary-action footswitches would 'gate' (or envelope) continuously playing loops.

So the module would need to be able to do sample-accurate looping of a stereo MP3.

Can any of the discussed above fulfill this?

Also, rather than using a uController, simple TTL/switch control of loop selection & playing, along with USB uploading of loops would be great

Haku

It could be use that way, in your wav editor copy'n'paste the entire wav many times onto the end of itself so you end up with a really really really really long wav of the same looped sample, then encode to mp3 & put on the SD card for the module to play back.

You don't need a microcontroller to play files on it, the module has 8 connections you can put 8 buttons on for selecting the first 8 mp3 files so that part of your query is feasable, however it doesn't support USB so you'll have to remove the card to put/replace/remove files on it.

How accurate the module is at playing mp3 files at precicely the correct speed I don't know.

gmcurrie

Yes, sorry, I wasn't clear:

- what I really meant was avoiding the CD-like 'track-gap', or even sample-level loop-click when the loop came round on itself - can such modules achieve that?

gmcurrie

Thanks for that Haku -

It seems that looping an mp3 seamlessly is a bit of a pain:

http://www.compuphase.com/mp3/mp3loops.htm

"The properties of the MP3 file format make it difficult to play a sound clip in a loop without a gap (silence) or an audible "plop" at the junction point. The MP3 file format seems to insist on having silence at the start and the end of the MP3 track (with a duration in the order of 10 ms to 50 ms).

The common solution to gapless looping is to use a decoder that is able to skip a programmable amount of samples that it decodes. Skipping means not only not playing them but also not allotting time for the samples. "

The article recommends their own module http://www.compuphase.com/mp3player_en.htm but there's a price hike up to ~260 Euros - ouch

Guess my project doesn't actually need loop files to be in mp3 cos the loops don't need to be very long - just a few seconds - any recommendations for WAV/raw player modules that can loop without glitches?

Last edited:

Haku

Sorry you've reached the limit of my knowledge and google searches, you may have to ask in a forum that deals with audio gear.

@Grogster, I got round to wiring up an external SD card slot on one of my modules using an old IDE cable of the really thin type:

Only 7 wires (two of which are ground so could be done with 6) and works a charm :)

1968neil

Finally !

Mine arrived on friday, spent the weekend experimenting.

A few observations:

Critical on timing of the RS232 command
Audio quality is excellent ! Really !
Track errors sorted using drive-sort (Thanks guys)
I've moved up from using a Picaxe to a PIC16F887 due to actual project requirements, However my findings can be transfered to the "AXE".

I have found with my PIC version that a 19.660800 crystal gives NO RS232 timing errors so maybe thats a problem that could be addresses for the axe ?
Prior to that i had read errors when using the busy line etc. problem cured now.
Great little module and i will now be ordering some more.
Will keep you posted on any other findings.
Thanks for all the input so far and a great find !

techElder

My modules show "V1.0" on the back. The following from Haku's manual find:

Code:
Date        Description                            Remark
2007-06   Initial version                           V1.0
2008-08   Add product pictures                      V2.0
2010-01   Add some functions to Direct-play Mode    V2.1

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It seemed to me that V2.x refers to the manual version rather than PCB version. Certainly my V1.0 PCB seems to works in accordance to V2.1 of the manual.

Grogster

@ Haku - Nice looking mod on the SD card slot. Personally, I still like and use your sticky-tape method - it works a treat for card removal.

revtor

-Found this thread with a google search a week ago -I was about to pay $99 for something similar that needed an additional $50 programmer board! But these will be perfect. I ordered mine two days ago (a day earlier there were none in stock - I was sad)

-Anyway, I'm going to try and run two of these from an 08m..? or an 18x. We'll see how it goes. I'm making an electronic game - like a pinball machine. One module will be for music and one will be for sound effects.. Timers and some HW switches on the playing field will determine which sounds to play. .
Any initial tips or code on getting them speaking? (the mp3 playback module equivalent of "blinky" or "Hello world")

Thanks
~Steve

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Untested but equivalent Hello World is ...

#Picaxe 08M
SetFreq M8
Pause 2000
SerOut TX_PIN, N4800_8, ( $01 )

Grogster

Yes, where $01 is 001.mp3 and that mp3 contains the words "Hello world."

I would use: SerOut TX_PIN,T2400,($01) with an 08M PICAXE and setfreq m8(tested and works). ;)

PLEASE REMEMBER that these units are NOT clever enough to sort the FAT on the SD card, so you MUST resort the FAT using DriveSort whenever you add or rename ANY file on the SD card.

Last edited:

Grogster

One module will be for music and one will be for sound effects..
Thanks
~Steve
Why not use ONE module for BOTH?
I guess if you want music AND talking AT THE SAME TIME, you would need two modules at once. Have I just answered my own question??? ;) (rhetorical!!!)

revtor

thanks for the code snips guys.. when the modules arrive Ill give it a shot..

yep, one for music, one for sound effects, talking etc.. Reading the datasheet, I noticed how it can pull random clips from the root directory (folder #1) with one command... so I can use that one command for random fun stuff, (Make the game seem "alive") and then I can call for specific clips from alternate folders depending on game play..

Also I like how I can set up volume buttons directly to the module, to set volume manually depending on the situation.. keeps things simpler.

A great find for $10
~Stv

Grogster

Yes, they really are a fantastic find by Haku. :)

The module really does need an 833 preamp or equivalent, to bring it's level up.
See previous posts on this for further information.

Haku

I bought a couple of micro SD to USB adaptors from my local 99p store, unsoldered the connector and:

:)

This also works fine on a 6 inch extension cable, the tricky bit (before the tricky soldering) was to make sure which of the 6 lines connects to the 7 solder points on the mp3 board as normal SD cards have 2 GND points.
I found a couple useful images, one of the mp3 modules without any components yet soldered on and another was of a micro SD to SD adaptor that had been taken apart so you could see the tracks.

Last edited:

Grogster

I have just received more modules from Tenda.
Their new version of this module now has USB flash-drive ability. :)

I think the price is slightly higher - about US$15, but still - crikey! :eek:

@ Haku - Note they have an SD socket on the add-on board too, which is MUCH easier to get the card in and out. This is no use to the ones you already have, but perhaps someone from Tenda has been reading this thread and made some changes based on your hacking. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

Grogster

I just ordered via e-mail. Paid by Western Union.
I am a company though, so perhaps easier for me then Joe Bloggs?

I can sell you one of the newer ones directly, if you like.
PM me...

Last edited:

eggie

Please can you help me. I have been watching this thread with interest and have just taken delivery of two of these modules from America with the intention of working with them in "MP3 Mode". However, now that I have them in my hand I am very nervous about trying to solder a connection onto M0. I only have a simple 40w soldering iron and my skills at soldering are not that good that I am confident to get it right first time. Does anyone know if there any way around having to solder a connection onto M0 to work in "MP3 Mode"?

The alternative is to work in Parallel mode and that way I do not have to try to solder anything on the actual board. However, working with serial information is a new territory for me and I was wondering if it is OK to connect the output of a Picaxe directly to this module (with them working at different voltages) - is the Picaxe going to be damaged or the MP3 module not going to read the signal? I was proposing to use the resistor circuit on Page 43 of Volume 3 of the Picaxe manual but will it need the MAX232 to get it to work?

Is there a way of finding out what track number is playing? I presume that "Busy" relates the processing of the communication and not the playing of the track. I cannot find anything in the datasheet/documentation that Haku posted.

Finally, has anyone used this in Parallel mode? If so, please can you let me know what happens when the play gets to the end of the folder - does it start again at the start of the same folder or move onto the next?

I am trying to build an MP3 bedside alarm clock. I will put all my MP3's into a random order and store them to the card and so on a morning it plays through the tracks, starting off the following day where is left off the morning before.

1968neil

i have mine breadboared no soldering to do and much quicker to get up and running.

I personally have found that serial mode is the most logical and easiest to understand and interface.
The moule itself has a 5v regulator onboard so powering it from a 12v supply is ok.
The other pin-outs are all TTL so can be directly connected to the PICAXE, It doesnt hurt to put a 100 ohm resistor in series just for peace of mind.

The busy line is a simple logic high or low when a song is being played. i use it as a wait until song is finished before proceeding with the next command etc.
The datasheet is confusing in places due to poor translation/grammar.
the other guys in the forum gave done some sterling work so far, would pay you to re-read all the other info they have posted.
Regards
Neil