Motion Sensing in car security fobs. How?

PhilHornby

Does anyone know how "Motion Sensing" is being implemented in this car security fob ❓

I have a Picaxe 08M2 repeatedly sending a 125KHz signal, that I cloned from my Hyundai Tucson's door lock. The fob responds with a blast of 433MHz.

If I stop sending the signal for more than about 3 minutes, the 433MHz does not resume when the 125KHz 'probe' resumes - the fob is 'asleep'. Gently moving the fob wakes it up again and it starts responding. If the 125KHz signal is not interrupted, the fob responds 'indefinitely', without timing out.

I cannot see anything on the PCB that looks remotely like a 'motion sensor'...

Last edited:

papaof2

Any translatable markings on U3 or the big chip and where is U2?

Maybe get a Bus Pirate device and connect it to the MSCL and MSDA pads to see what the big chip is doing and if/how that signal changes when the fob is moved?

steliosm

U3 looks like an accelerometer. That could be how it understands motion.
Those are usually i2c devices, so getting a but pirate device or a cheap 8-channel usb type logic analyzer could help you even more identifying this chip.

Buzby

... Practically free these days ...
Watch those low price teasers again, we saw it last week on the ultrasonic wind speed gadget.

54 cents is for a single device, the headline advert is for 10.

PhilHornby

Many thanks for the replies.

Early research indicated that an Accelerometer should/might be present, but I was expecting something much grander than "U3" :) - (I'd convinced myself that it was using some other mechanism).

It's tempting to connect something to those pads to explore further, but these fobs are hellishly expensive to replace :unsure:

julianE

just a little warning, i don't remember the details and am too lazy to search, if the key fob button is pressed too often without opening a door it will brick itself. you have to press it many times but it's something to keep in mind while experimenting. it's very expensive to reprogram a fob if it's bricked.

PhilHornby

Thanks for the reminder - I had forgotten this. I think the 'Rolling Code' can get out of line, but it seems a relatively simple procedure to resync them on a Hyundai.