most accurate pwm frequency

Andrew Cowan

Can you elaborate on your question?

Using the PWMout command, all frequencies are equally accurate (or inaccurate) as a percentage - it depends on the clock speed of the PICAXE's core.

PICAXE's using an external resonator will be more accurate than ones using the internal one.

Why are you asking - what's the application?

A

aduy

well what i mean which frequency would give me the most resolution. im going to be using the pwm to control some rgb leds

mega

I've found using PWM on a white led quite easy to implement, the dimming of it happens rather smoothly which is probably what you want to do with RGB led, you just need to use three outputs with PWM, I'd be testing it in a breadboard or something, the PWM command is very easy to use and I'd reckon you would knock it over in a few hours of playing, have fun... *thinks* I must try that myself....

Dippy

Get yourself a copy of PICMulticalc.
It will give you the information on resolution etc. for different clock speeds and your favourite frequencies.
But, as Andrew says, ultimately the absolute accuracy is down to the accuracy/stability of your clock. The resolution is down to your settings choice.

eclectic

well what i mean which frequency would give me the most resolution. im going to be using the pwm to control some rgb leds
Most resolution?
At 4MHz, ~3920kHz

See Man.2, p.165,
and the Wizard Pwm.

Mind you, whether you'll see
all the steps is another matter. :)

e

aduy

Do you mean the most steps between fully on (100%) and fully off (0%)?
yes that is what I mean. I need to filter the pwm, because the rgb leds are going to be spinning on my bike spokes, although i could do some cool strobe things and make it so the wheels look like their not spinning. I have 6 "104"(0.1uf) ceramic capacitors so if i do a two pass filter I think i can use 10k resistors.

Most resolution?
At 4MHz, ~3920kHz
so does that mean for 8mhz its 7840 and so on for other core frequencies

Attachments

Last edited:

eclectic

yes that is what I mean. I need to filter the pwm, because the rgb leds are going to be spinning on my bike spokes, although i could do some cool strobe things and make it so the wheels look like their not spinning. I have 6 "104"(0.1uf) ceramic capacitors so if i do a two pass filter I think i can use 10k resistors.

so does that mean for 8mhz its 7840 and so on for other core frequencies
1. Why do you need to filter?

2. Yes, 3920 @4MHz or 7840 @ 8MHz will allow over 1000 brightness "levels".

e

Attachments

Dippy

I'm confused :confused: - but as we know, that ain't difficult.

Are we doing 2 topics in one here?
1. How to smooth the power to reduce/prevent strobe effect.
2. Choosing a PWM frequency to get the most duty steps/resolution.

I realise they can be related; after all (going to extremes) a 10MHz PWM would probably mean no perceivable strobe on your bike wheels so smoothing not required.
If you want to go the smoothing route then your design will depend on the LED power required.

I would be tempted to have a bench-test before going OTT with PWM resolution. When I was playing with a design I had 100 steps for each RGB channel and that was well OTT as duties of 50,50,49 and 50,50,48 (R,G,B) were no different to my eyes.And that was BEFORE I went to the pub!

BTW; PICMultiCalc: Although it's aimed at PIC programmers it does give good information wrt accuracy and duty steps for a given clock and chosen PWM. PIC derives it's values using a sequence of dividers so (generally) as you get to the higher end of the frequencies the accuracy and resolution decrease. You may select 50 or 51% but there is no difference.
So, whilst it's not aimed specifically at PICAXE programming it does provide a useful reference as to the 'goings on' in PIC.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
yes that is what I mean. I need to filter the pwm, because the rgb leds are going to be spinning on my bike spokes, although i could do some cool strobe things and make it so the wheels look like their not spinning.
I think you are confusing two things here; PWM used via an RC circuit to set a voltage / brightness level and additionally turning PWM on and off to strobe the LED's.

Though the LED on and off signal looks somewhat like a PWM pulse train it's usually not described in those terms as it needs to be synchronised to wheel rotation. To do that there will usually be a magnet at a fixed point on the wheel and a sensor on the wheel fork. When the sensor triggers there will be a delay, then the LED ( or PWM ) is turned on for a short time then off again. This would more correctly be called "phase control" or similar.

geezer88

Veering a little further off course, please not that your eyes respond to brightness in a logarithmic manner. For example, a doubling of light value is just barely perceptible. So, the challenge will be to get the widest dynamic range of values, not the greatest resolution. Others advised to do some bench testing, and I heartily agree.

tom

aduy

well what i meant by strobe is, will i be able to see the pauses when the wheel is spinning, and if what you guys are saying is that im better off going with a higher frequency, because the number of steps aren't that important/noticable then the "strobe" wont be an issue.

Dippy

Well if you know the RPM , the PWM frequency and duty you could actually dig out your calculator and work some figures. i.e. what fraction of the rotation would be on or off.

And also it depends how you generate your PWM.
Some people do R then G then B very rapidly.(.e.g my Chinese made garden light which has now died).
When I was doing some code-generated RGB I had all 3 channels started together.

You could get some nice effects.

aduy

well i was going to use 3 08ms to control each led individually, but how is it that you can control all three leds with just one pwm output? do you use transistors, or relays or something like that?

eclectic

well i was going to use 3 08ms to control each led individually, but how is it that you can control all three leds with just one pwm output? do you use transistors, or relays or something like that?
A Picaxe 28X2 (latest version)
has four Pwmout outputs,
and a much greater processing power.

But first, to avoid confusion,
what exactly
are the effects that you hope to achieve?

Flashing / fading / RGB / "Knight Rider" .......?

e

aduy

just to change colors not anything too fancy, like go all the way through the spectrum and then back

aduy

the picaxe is going to be soldered onto a prototyping board, with a socket and then all the red leds are going to be together, and the same for the blue and green. its all going to be powered by 2 AAs and its all attached to the wheel, with the leds taped or possibly glued to the spokes.