More on t' 40x1 Micromouse

beny1949

Just a little update about my mouse:

its 17 days untill the competition and there is still alot of programming to be done, mainly the flood fill alogorithm. But i have already come along way with the project. I have put some videos of what it can do as of the other day on you tube. you can see them here:
<A href='http://www.ben-howes.co.uk' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Ben

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Looks excellent. I note there's a ~1.5s delay when it 'hits a wall' or moves into another cell - Is that thinking time for what to do next and map updating, or just delay for debugging ?

I'm also not sure exactly what you mean by &quot;flood-fill&quot; in this application, what it is meant to achieve.

beny1949

the delay is just a debug delay. i have had a go without a delay and it seems to cause a few problems, so i have just been using a 0.25 second break instead.

The flood fill is used to solve the maze. the maze you see in the video is just a small 8 x 8 in comparison to the actual maze which is 16 x 16. there will be at least 2 different routes to the middle and the mouse needs to know the correct way! there is quite a bit about this over at a very experianced mouse builders site: <A href='http://micromouse.cannock.ac.uk/maze/fastfloodsolver.htm' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Thanks for you comments!

Ben

&#160;

Edited by - beny1949 on 13/06/2007 20:39:21

boriz

Beny1949.

Nice mouse. Must have taken many hours of sweet labour :)

Though I'm interested, I know very little about these competitions. I infer from the link that each mouse in the competition is given a chance to explore the maze at will before being timed for a start-to-finish run. Is that correct? Or is the exploration timed also?

I did notice one thing, (this is the beauty of posting a video). There seems to be a lot of 'seeking'. I mean the mouse seems to 'fish' from left to right, even when travelling down a straight corridor. I have an idea how you can reduce or even eliminate this behaviour and probably speed the mouse up a lot. It's probably not an original idea, but I just thought of it and it just might work.

I don't know how competitive these things are. Would you like me to post my ideas here, or email you?

Edited by - boriz on 13/06/2007 23:21:05

womai

I had a look at the video and your comments on the website. Man, if you're only 16 and do this all yourself - I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Very nice, clean work as far as mechanics is concerned as well!

Good luck in the upcoming competition!

Wolfgang

beny1949

boriz: you can post your ideas here! there is no reason why everyone cant gain from them! the main problem is it tends to over compensate for anyproblems. i have about 8 ram bytes left which could be used with your idea and about 100 bytes of scratch pad.

womai: Thanks very much! i havent had any help with the making or the programming. i have spoken to my dad a bit about some of the concepts over the phone, but thats about it.

Ben

sevs3

Dude that is insane!!!

I cant even get a LCD module to work and you have that little mouse hooning around!

Is this comp in the UK?

beny1949

yeah, the competition is in birmingham. mellienium point i think

<A href='http://www.tic.ac.uk/micromouse/index.asp' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

have a look at the rules ect on that site...

boriz

Ok.

Idea:
Scrap the top-edge detector. Instead use pairs of IR sensors that are positioned on the front and side of the mouse. Directed forwards and sidewise towards the walls.

Diagram of one sensor: http://www.zen86415.zen.co.uk/mouse1.gif

The RX is on top and angled down so that it can be shaded from ambient light. Because of the angles of the TX and RX, only the shaded area will produce an output. Both the TX and RX will have a half-angle quoted in the specs, plus a certain amount of experimentation should give you the ideal angles. This gives you accurate distance information from that sensor to the wall.

Place two of these sensors as indicated in this diagram: http://www.zen86415.zen.co.uk/mouse3.gif

3 Pairs like this, one pair on the front and one pair on each opposite side should provide all the information you need. The pairs work in two modes. Mode1 is just detecting the presence or absence of a wall. With the sensor angle set correctly, an output from the sensor indicates that the mouse is the correct distance from the wall. Mode2 compares the outputs from both sensors so that the mouse&#8217;s angle to the wall can be corrected. When both sensors are providing an equal output, then the mouse knows it is square on to the wall. Only one pair of alignment sensors need be operating at any one time. After all, if you know how far apart the walls are, then you only need to know how close you are to one of them.

Forward motion is controlled thus: Both motors accelerate up to max speed. When the side alignment sensors detect an imbalance (i.e one sensor is producing more output than the other), one motor is slowed down a little until the alignment sensors balance again. The degree of slow-down (the motor PWM% change) is directly proportional to the difference in the sensor outputs. With careful calibration I reckon this will speed up the seeking quite a lot.

I have never built a mouse, but would probably use this sort of system if I were to try.

Other (more expensive) idea:
Webcam on a pole pointing down. Process the image for edge detection. If the pole is long enough (no limits in the rules) then you can get a snapshot of the complete maze. All the maze-solving can be done very quickly in RAM before the mouse even moves. Then it can zoom straight to the end making no mistakes.

Edited by - boriz on 15/06/2007 15:50:17

beny1949

This method you descibed is very good! it is what I fully intend to do next year with my mouse. This year there just was not enough time to learn anything new because I have only known about the competition for 2 months!

Thanks very much for your idea again, it is much more developed than what I had in mind. If you look on you tube for micromouse videos you will see some that use the same arrangement as mine: th slow ones, and some that use the same kind of thing as you are talking about: the very quick ones. I am hoping to be able to make some of these fast ones that can move to the center through about 80 cells (18cm long each) in less than 7 seconds! in most of the videos the camera men struggle to keep up with the speed of these things.

regards,
Ben