Modifying AXE133 LCD dirver firmware

stn564

Hi All
I am trying to use an AXE132 LCD driver kit to drive a weird Vacuum Fluorescent display (VFD) which has a fairly non-standard interface and very non-standard commands (uses 00h - 1Fh codes for commands).
So I want to modify the AXE133 program to take account of the VFD's requirements.
However when I try to program the driver kit PICAXE I get the message

Error - incorrect hardware found for this software mode .... and then
The software is currently in the mode for - PICAXE 18m2
The hardware connected to the computer is - Unknown

On checking the chip in the AXe132 Kit it's an 18M2+. Is this why I am getting these errors?
My PE is v 5.4.0 - should I upgrade to V6 - I was reluctant to as it says at's only beta.
Or should I just get a standard 18m2 chip and program that?
BTW my AXE132 works fine with the PICAXE OLED 16x2 and another LCD 20x4, so there is nothing wrong with it!
Many thanks // David

nick12ab

Support for the PICAXE-18M2+ is not implemented at all in version 5.4.0. "Beta 18M2+ support" was added in 5.4.3 and proper support was added in version 5.5.0.

The current version is 5.5.6.

Download the current version here: www.picaxe.com/PE5

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
It may also be that the PICAXE on the AXE132 needs a Hard Reset to accept further downloads.

Turn power off, initiate a download, when "Connecting to hardware..." appears; turn the power back on.

You can install PE6 without losing access to PE5 which means you simply have to fire-up PE5 if there is something not quite working as desired in PE6. PE6 is beta and there may be a few things that need fixing or tidying up but for the majority of cases there should be no issues with using it.

stn564

Hippy---tried the hard reset, no joy. I'll try downloading the latest V5 software (would be nice if they put the full version number on the download page) and see how that goes. Thanks for the help.

It may also be that the PICAXE on the AXE132 needs a Hard Reset to accept further downloads.

Turn power off, initiate a download, when "Connecting to hardware..." appears; turn the power back on.

You can install PE6 without losing access to PE5 which means you simply have to fire-up PE5 if there is something not quite working as desired in PE6. PE6 is beta and there may be a few things that need fixing or tidying up but for the majority of cases there should be no issues with using it.

stn564

Guys, many thanks for the advice, I downloaded V6 and that lets me reprogram the 18M2+ no problem. That sorted me out - my VFD uses the RS line opposite to the usual LCDs, in fact you rarely have to take it high, most control codes are just characters in the 00h to 1Fh range, so had to do quite a few changes to the AXE133 code. But now working fine. Thanks again.