missing files in axe027 download XP

RBruceM

I've recently had some trouble reloading the axe027 USB drivers. When re-installing these on Win XP pro, two files are missing; ftdiunin.exe and ftdiun2k.ini. Only by selecting the manual mode and ignoring these omissions can I install. The software cannot be uninstalled on my machine without these. The FTDI installer has to manually be shown where files are several times- not just pointed to the axe027 folder with unzipped files. It's operationally pathetic. I expect I can find them on FTDI's website, but what a PITA.

I think Rev-ed should talk to FTDI about a better installer or select a different vendor. The install is problematic on my two XP machines, only working if manually specifying file selection, and often taking several attempts. I've never had any trouble installing or uninstalling USB drivers of any kind, except for these. While not an amateur, I now have some cognitive impairment so am perhaps somewhat representative of your new customers.

The FTDI software install is inconsistent with Rev-ed's Picaxe related software and products which I think are truely outstanding and exceptionally capable but easy to use.

Bruce M

Last edited:

MartinM57

Are you EXACTLY following the Rev-Ed instructions in the AXE027 PDF installation guide and using the Rev-Ed files - or trying a "do it yourself download and install method"?

I, and many others, follow the instructions EXACTLY and have never had any problems cross multiple machines or OSes (XP and Windows 7 in my case). Are you running Vista by any chance?

RBruceM

Yes, I'm following the directions, and no, as noted in my original post, it is not Vista, it's XP, as indicated in the title and first sentence. The point is, the install should be easier, and there are now other options besides FTDI. It's not really Rev-ed's fault, I know, but it might be time to reconsider vendors if FTDI can't do better than this.

Last edited:

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
I've not noticed any particular problem installing and uninstalling FTDI drivers but it may depend on how drivers are installed, managed and uninstalled. The missing files aren't 'installed' per se ( not that I can see on my XP Pro system ), but are part of the driver package. If that's unzipped to disk then deleted, or installed from CD etc, they would disappear.

Having to repeatedly point Device Manager to the right directories and files manually is something I have experienced with numerous drivers and seems to be an issue primarily with Windows itself. This seems particularly so when trying to install different drivers to what Windows has previously installed. It can indeed be frustrating.

The FTDI chipset and FTDI drivers in general present no problem when installed the first time and seem to work reliably on Windows and other operating systems in the overwhelming majority of cases. Uninsatallation and re-installation are rarer cases but should work equally well.

If you haven't resolved the issues you are having we may be able to give further advice.

slurp

If something USB has been installed but it's not work I find it easiest to got to the hardware list (with the cable plugged in), find the USB device and un-install the driver.

For both XP and Vista I've had no trouble provided I've followed the instructions. These USB devices seem to like to grab any old device driver that looks about right!

best regards,
Colin