Mini modules from Futurlec

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Note the SD/MMC Mini Board is just a breakout board with common components installed, not an intelligent interface for an SD or MMC card.

westaust55

also on their Australia website: http://www.futurlec.com.au/MiniBoards.jsp

Quite a range if you look under the "miniboards" sub-heading at the left of the page.

I preceive these would be good for those with little electronics experience and in particular construction/soldering experience to enable them to get going.

For the more experienced, they are more likely to "roll their own" for specific projects.

For the basic IC type modules, (eg 74HC595 and 74HC165) the modules are relatively large and even on strip/proto boards it is possible to get the size down or more into the same space.
For example I have a proto-board based module which certainly not bigger that the Futurlec DS1307 module which includes:
- a uM FPU V2 chip with 74HC06 (hex inverter) + header socket for direct programing of the uMFPU function blocks,
- a DS1338 (DS1307 equivalent) with crystal + back up battery, and
- a header for power plus ic2 bus.

Billo

Actually, I think this modular approach is even more applicable to the experienced or professional designer. As long as they use accepted methods, they are a huge time saver and about 1000 times more reliable than the typical solderless breadboard rat's nest. When you have a client or a corporate executive waiting on a proof-of-concept prototype to be built and demonstrated before giving you the funds to continue, you will appreciate anything that adds qualities like rapid, repeatable and reliable.

A couple of year ago I was working with a local lighting firm. They wanted me to help them design an intelligent automatic lighting control that would detect ambient light and motion, but not be tripped too easily by cats and other small animals, etc. The fist prototype I put together was on solderless breadboard and it took 9 hours or so to build and debug before I could start writing code. Then it got a couple of wires pulled out on the trip to the demo. That was the biggest embarrassment of my life. Lucky for me they had a sense of humor. That evening I went home and ordered a PIR module and LDR module and a relay module, all with simple 3 wire connections to the MCU, and had them shipped out overnight. When I got them I stuck the prototype together in about 30 seconds and it was as reliable as a brick $#1T house. Now I have a collection of about 120 modules and haven't looked back. Most of them are commercially available or will become so shortly. I'd say 90% of all my designs are based on them and I only use the breadboard method for my own purposes to develop a new module.

Sorry for the long story...but I heartily recommend modules and the development boards that support them easily. If fact so much so, I'm going into that business.