Microcontroller SPI

pme720

I want to use a Picaxe to control an IC via serial peripheral interfacing (SPI). Do any of the Picaxe chips support this?

Another, unrelated question. How do I get an 08M or 18X SMT package in the US? The Canadian and US distributors don't offer the SMT form factor, and Rev-Ed wants an indutrial sized order to ship overseas (understandably).

Edited by - pme720 on 01/11/2006 18:29:41

womai

At the moment, there isn't built-in support for SPI. But you can do it by bit-banging the Picaxe outputs (i.e. set them high and low manually in the right sequence). It sounds more difficult than it really is. The Picaxe Basic manual has some code for this (look under shiftin/shiftout), you'll need to add a few lines to set the chip enable line. Also there have been many posts and code on this forum for SPI and bit-banging.

Also note that the upcoming new Picaxes (28X2 and 40X2) are said to have built-in SPI which will be much faster (and easier to use).

Wolfgang

inglewoodpete

Perhaps an unusual angle but the Australian distributor, MicroZed, carries the SMT versions of PICAXEs and ships overseas.

See http://www.microzed.com.au/ORDERING.htm

Their website is a bit clunky but I have found them to be prompt and reliable.