Micro USB Power Breakout Board

DDJ2011

Hi,

I just received one of these breakout boards from Sparkfun and hope to power my picaxe projects from my blackberry charger:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9614

I could have sworn a little while ago that I found a thread here that covers using these, but now I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone have any advice on using them - or could anyone better at searching than me point me at the right thread?

Many thanks,

DDJ
:confused:

lbenson

I've used these to power boards. All you need to do is connect the VCC (5V) and GND (0V). Ignore the D+ and D- lines--they are usb signals, and there is no native picaxe provision for handling them. Make sure your charger voltage does not exceed 5V5.

premelec

One issue that might arise is how 'clean' your charger output is - sometimes spikes and ripple can appear which don't affect battery charging but might affect your PICAXE. On another note there are a bunch of lithium battery packs to produce 5v charging for phones etc - these often have an auto off feature and so require minimum current to stay on - Spark Fun has some as does ebay - I hope someday to find out if brief current pulses will keep these from shutting down [usually in about 2 seconds]... Note that a simple AA battery pack often times is best when starting up a project because of limited energy output when a wiring mistake is made :)