men's shed & picaxe

rolsen

There is concept across easten Australia (may be in West by now called "Men's Sheds" these sheds are tooled mainly for woodwork and are a place for men (generally older men) retirees etc. to meet, address lonleyness issues etc and craft mainly woodwork items. There are now some 300 plus Men's Sheds set up across Australia. Run by Volunteers and local communities.

We are well under way in setting up such a shed in Wellington NSW Aust. Some of the men wish to learn basic electronics and I am intending to introduce the Picaxe concept as a teaching tool and projects. I guess this is the opposite age end to introducing picaxe to schools. I think this may be a first for a men's shed - could lead to an opportunity to introduce picaxe instruction through one of the two National Menshed organsations that now operate.

Something to consider.

higgeh

that sounds cool. I wanna live in aus. but for now ill be quite happy in my own shed in perth (Scotland)

moxhamj

Emigrate to Aus. Half the UK seems to have lately. My medical practice seems to only have UK staff at the moment. Not sure why, but I must say the recent immigrants from the UK are hard workers. The sheds are bigger in Oz!

A great concept by the way!

manuka

Great idea! In fact a series of PICAXE articles (not mine) have been in a Kiwi shed mag. recently => http://www.theshedmag.co.nz/, although I've not found them that lucid. For starters their code is not web hosted, meaning tedious retyping that weary eyed oldies will naturally loathe.

I've predictably numerous thoughts on how you could support these fine gents, & muse that something related to home brewing may catch their fancy! Budgets? Stan ( in fact in a fellow Wellington - NZ)

Wrenow

Fascinating from a psychological, sociological, and anthropological point of view. Just plain cool. Interestingly, the phenomenon of a "group shop: is starting to grow here in the US as well - see http://techshop.ws/. Sadly, the nearest is about 1600mi from here, but one is scheduled for next year within 200mi. I am lobbying for one in my town. Cheers, Wreno

krypton_john

Fascinating from a psychological, sociological, and anthropological point of view. Just plain cool. Interestingly, the phenomenon of a "group shop: is starting to grow here in the US as well - see http://techshop.ws/. Sadly, the nearest is about 1600mi from here, but one is scheduled for next year within 200mi. I am lobbying for one in my town. Cheers, Wreno
1600 MILES? Where are you, Alaska?

rolsen

Thanks to all for the encouraging comments. Chris, mensheds australia & community men's sheds both have websites just enter the names into google. You can also use the Menshed Australia site to locate your nearest Menshed.

Stan (maruka), I did have your 2003 series of articles in mind for the shed picaxe projects (hardly seems 5 years ago!) With your permission I would like to use the articles as a guide, supported by the Picaxe manuals.

We have been given 7 computers, 4 Pentium 4, 3 pentium 3, all with Windows 2000 professional, together with full office furniture. I will use some of these for the picaxe activity. The shed will have computer area, lounge & kitchen, disable toilet, main workshop,seperate floor machinery area with dust extraction and seperate welding area.

Projects will include wookwork, electro-mechanical, computers and picaxe based projects.

As I am still very much a picaxe novice, this forum will prove invaluable.

Exciting days ahead.

rolsen

Thanks Stan, I think they do have serial ports. At the moment I will be transferring picaxe software downloads via my computer as the shed does not have phone connection/internet. I am commencing office/computer setting up today and we should be ready for membership within 4-8 weeks. The shed will open for activity each Tuesday 10am to 3pm.

Thanks for links, I will study & use. Detail, structure and setup of a Men's Shed are outside the scope of this forum. A 94 page manual is available for anyone wishing to setup such a shed. Google Lane Cove Men's Shed.

However to focus on the subject at hand - "Let's flash a LED" using a picaxe.......and let the fun begin.

Tom2000

Milling machine! Lathe! (Plasma cutter???)

And the best news: Coming soon to Seattle!

Wrenow, I can't thank you enough for this great news. This is the first I've heard of Tech Shops. I'll be looking for the grand opening.

Tom