mcp3202 spi on 28x1 HELP !!!!!

marky26uk

Hi peoples,
Hope someone can help asap, i'm trying to read from a mcp3202 12-bit adc chip, i really don't know where to start. Just hoping someone on here could possibly have a look at the datasheet for this chip & see if you could help me. Hippy ??? Thanks all.

demonicpicaxeguy

have a good read of the data sheet for the adc
it's a fairly simple one to interface to,
i'd be tempted to bit bang it using shift in/shift out
page 14 of the microchip data sheet is probably a good start

failling that i'm sure one of us could knock up some code for it

Edited by - demonicpicaxeguy on 25/06/2007 11:40:31

marky26uk

Hi, thanks for reply.
I was hoping to be able to use the new spi function on picaxe 28x1. Any example code would be very much appreciated, not had any experience with spi.

Cheers,
Mark

marky26uk

Nice one, cheers.
I'm still reading the manual but to no avail, pity no sample code in the manual for adc's using the spi.

Cheers,
Mark

demonicpicaxeguy

ok from what i can tell you'll need to use the spi mode that samples the input after the clock goes low and idle low

but here's the general gist of what need to happen - yes before anyone points it out
it this is a bad coding method i should use a loop.. but for testing puposes

<power on>
low cs
high dataout 'start bit
high clock

low clock
high dataout 'slg/diff bit
high clock

low clock
high dataout 'odd/sign bit
high clock

low clock
high dataout 'msbf bit
high clock

low clock
high clock 'null bit

low clock
bit11 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit10 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit9 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit8 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit7 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit6 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit5 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit4 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit3 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit2 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit1 = datain
high clock
low clock
bit0 = datain
high clock

then after that i think it's back to the top again

should work but you'll need to change the code to the correct pins.

pha555

There is some bit-bang code for the -08M at http://www.phanderson.com/picaxe/picaxe.html

You should be able to replace my Sub SPI_IO with the new command that uses the SPI hardware.

PHA - http://www.phanderson.com

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
When the PICAXE Project Showcase site is up and running, that would make an ideal repository for interfacing code examples for various peripherals.

Ideally example code would be perfect, well tested and beautifully crafted and commented, but anything is useful in comparing datasheets to what people have done in reality.

I cannot see why such example code shouldn't be collated and form "PICAXE Manual 4 - Advanced Interfacing Code Examples" in PDF form and delivered with the Programming Editor. Getting one's name/moniker 'in print' should be a good reward to anyone taking the time to contribute.

A mechanism to be able to flag code that has been tested and confirmed to work by others would be very helpful.

marky26uk

Hi all, this is what i have done so far:-
init:

hspisetup spimode00, spimedium
main:
low 7
hspiout (%00000001)
hspiout (%10100000)
hspiin (bit11,bit10,bit9,bit8,bit7,bit6,bit5,bit4,bit3,bit2,bit1,bit0)
high 7

debug
goto main

Getting something out of it but it's not correct, this is proving to be ridiculous, why is this so difficult lol (i must laugh to stay sane)
Any ideas ?

Cheers,
Mark

GDSever

I use PHA555's bit-banging code and it works great. I even took his code for 3202s and combined it with the 3204/8 code into a single set of routines.

I'll try the 28X1 SPI interface stuff one of these days... but for now I've got something that works perfectly.

pha555

Marky26,

I may be wrong, but I don't think the hardware implementation of the SPI will work for you. There appears to be a byte Out and a byte In, but one of the big advantages of SPI is that it can send a byte and also receive a byte in the same byte timeframe. This gives SPI some added speed capability.

For the MCP3202, this is important. When the the second byte is output, the PICAXE should also be reading as these are the four most sig bits of the A/D result.

As I say, I may be wrong, but I don't think the 28X1 has this functionality.

My bit bang SPI_IO will work correctly. More code and slower.

PHA - http://www.phanderson.com

marky26uk

Hi all again,
I've got it working, not really sure how but it's working, the only thing is that i can only read from 1 channel, i can't get it to read from both.
Here is my code :-

main:
low 7
hspiout (%00000001)
hspiin (b1,b0)
high 7
debug w0
goto main

sevs3

does the hspi* work in debug?

i attempted to write hspi code for the VDrive2, but it kept coming up witht he error saying the hardware pins wernt configured to work and yet i had the hspisetup command in the code.

sevs3

The VDrive2 is a USB module for picaxe:

http://www.vinculum.com/documents/datasheets/DS_VDRIVE2.pdf

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
This device should work with the hspi port, but is indeed tricky to use. You must study page 13 and page 15 of the Microchip datasheet carefully. Page 15 explains the issues with a fixed 8 bit SPI hardware port (as with PICAXE / PICs).

As defined on page 15 you need to hspiout two bytes to get the device started, in this exact format (figure 6.1)

hspiout (%0000000S, %XYZ00000)
where S = 1 = start bit
where X = sgl/diff bit
where Y = odd/sign bit
where Z = MS BF bit

you then hspiin in two bytes (e.g b0 and b1), which (between them) will contain the 12 bit result of a single channel. The 12 bit result will actually be 'padded' to 16 bits with 0's at the start or end, as defined by the MS BF bit (Z above). As Prof Anderson points out, the first hspiin byte in does occur at exactly the same time as the transmission of the second byte, but the internal PIC module actually automatically handles this for you.

The actual channel read and mode is defined by the other two bits (X and Y above)

marky26uk

Hi, i've tried the above which isn't working, i don't understand this at all, any other ideas ?

Thanks so far,
Mark

marky26uk

Hello again,
Technical is the mcp3202 definitely compatible with the hspi on picaxe 28x1 ?
My code is :-

init:
main:
low 7
hspiout (%00000001,%10100000)
hspiin (b0,b1)
high 7
debug
goto main

This is just not working properly, the value is all over the place as if some bits are going where they shouldn't be, am i missing something ?

Mark

GDSever

Even though you are not using PHA555's bit-banging code for SPI, you should read his article. It has a good explanation of the bits that are received and why your data might look a little wonky. My guess is you should be ignoring a few of the bits.

http://www.phanderson.com/picaxe/spi.html

marky26uk

Hi, i have sorted this hspi problem, well a chap i know (Pete) from work helped me out.
Here's my code incase it's useful to anyone else:-

init:
main:
low 7
hspiout (%00001101) ' CH0
hspiin (b1,b0)
high 7
w0=w0/8
low 7
hspiout (%00001111) ' CH1
hspiin (b3,b2)
high 7
w1=w1/8
debug
goto main

It turns out i wasn't shifting the 3 bytes that had zero's in them, dividing by 8 sorted it out.

Works like a dream,
Mark

sevs3

marky_26uk - would you mind running a simulation with spifast set please?

I cannot simulate with spifast, but i can with spimedium. Do you have the same thing?

Oh and nice work getting it working :)

Edited by - sevs3 on 06/07/2007 00:39:40

marky26uk

Hi sevs3, i have never used the simulation but i might have a go this weekend & post you my results.
The only thing i can tell you is that my above posting with the mcp3202 chip wouldn't work with spifast, medium & slow works perfectly.

Mark