matrix kracker

Hey guys This is just a idea right now and wondering if it would be fesable. Ok so the idea is a dieves would fit over a keypad alarm then the solides on the dievce would press the keys on till it open kind of like brut force hacking i belive. Does anyone have any idea how you could the picaxe to go up thour numbers like that. sorry bout the spelling moms bugging me to get off Im 15 later guys thanks

Mycroft2152

Hardware and software is pretty simple.

The problem is the "brute force" time.

Lets say you have a 16 key pad and press one key every second, to press all the permutations

a 1 key code will take a maximum of 16 seconds
a 2 ley code will take a maximum of 16* 16 = 256 seconds ( 4 minutes)
a 3 key code will take a maximum of 16*16*16 = 4096 seconds (1 hour+)
a 4 key code will take a maximum of 16*16*16*16 =(1 million+ seconds)

Of course you can get real lucky and have a low number combination.

Just be patient.

Myc

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Of course, this all assumes the lock isn't smart enough to slow down accepting new tries after a number of consecutive failures.

Last edited:

BeanieBots

Once this legally dubious project has found the correct combination, how will it know? Many combination locks need some further 'activity' once the correct combination has been entered or it will simply continue trying new numbers in blind ignorance.
Also, any 'lock' worth having, will have a mechanism expressely aimed at preventing such a hack. Usually a timeout after 3 consecutive attempts.
Even pure mechanical locks have mechanisms to prevent sequencial hacks.

How did Hippy slip that in before my post?
There's no way it took me 10 minutes to type that.

still thinking

I thought about the 3 times thing what if i was abbly to hook up the alarm panel power to the picaxe device to trigger a reset ever 3 times. I can't see any problems here since most panels have there own prossecer and require power, so the say " main alarm box " wouldn't go off or notice how many inputs I am putting in the panel. Anthor idea i had was that since every alarm normally has at least 1 led telling that code was incorrect or correct, we could connect a cds cell to tell the deive that the inputed code is correct or incorrect. I cant wait to hear your guys insite on this thanks,

Tyler Berezowsky

and if your worrying or wondering don't this project is for school I go to a tech school BCTHS and I am in a eletroc-mechanical course so anthing like time wouldn't matter.

Thanoks again

demonicpicaxeguy

Hardware and software is pretty simple.

The problem is the "brute force" time.

Lets say you have a 16 key pad and press one key every second, to press all the permutations

a 1 key code will take a maximum of 16 seconds
a 2 ley code will take a maximum of 16* 16 = 256 seconds ( 4 minutes)
a 3 key code will take a maximum of 16*16*16 = 4096 seconds (1 hour+)
a 4 key code will take a maximum of 16*16*16*16 =(1 million+ seconds)

Of course you can get real lucky and have a low number combination.

Just be patient.

Myc
there are better ways to brute force somthing

there are better ways to narrow that down significantly
providing trying one number after another actaully works and there isn't any way of stopping it or slowing it down you can look at it statistically and narrow things down incredibly,

firstly people using sequential number1 eg 123456789 or 987654321 tend to be fairly rare as far as the statistics go so work out what ranges need to be eliminatd to cover those

despite the repeated warnings people still use their birth year for a pin number for their atm access..... (they never learn) secondly their birth date eg 1505 (15th 05 (may)) so there are quite afew ranges that can be tried first hence why the 1 and 2 's on high usage keypads tend to wear out quickly

if you've still got code space after all that postcodes are somthing that are also a popular choice those aren't really a bad place to start (you'd be amased how many people use their postcode)

if it still doesn't get it then give up you could be there for ever,

MartinM57

This sounds like a nice "thought experiment" to me - i.e. you can think through all these things, but if this is a school project that you want to get marks for then I think you should either think of something else or limit the scope right down to something like:
- I know the combination of the lock, but it changes regularly
- but I am a disabled person so I can't press the keys individually
- so my device does it for me

There's plenty enough electro-mechanical aspects to even that simple scope....

BeanieBots

Quite frankly, this is not appropriate as a school project and whoever your teacher is should know better than to allow you to continue with it.
If you really wish to continue with the theme, then probably better to do it the other way around. That is, make your own lock and demonstrate what precautions you have taken to prevent such an obvious hack attempt.
For example, your idea of powering down the micro, well first off, that would sound the alarm in a 'real' system. Second, it will take a minute (or two) after power up for EXACTLY the reasons you thought of it!