Make manual zoom sticky

geezer88

I've been using the manual as pulled up by the editor a fair amount recently, and on my computer screen I like it set about 50%, but each time I start the manual it opens at something much smaller. Is there a way to get it to stay where I put the magnification?

thanks,
tom

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The answer would probably depend upon which PC application displays the manual and may also depend on the version of that application. The Programming Editor asks the OS to show the manual but does not know which application will be chosen to display it. It will often be Adobe Reader but could be something else.

tmfkam

This sort of behaviour in Adobe Acrobat (assuming that is your PDF viewer) used to drive me to distraction. At the time I was writing a program on the PC that monitored the top most (foreground) program and placed the time, date and CPU activity in the caption bar. I used this program to look for Adobe Acrobat coming to the foreground and send a series of keypresses that changed the view to the one that I preferred. Problem solved.

I had thought that later versions of Acrobat could be told to always open in a particular way? If not, there are some excellent free PDF viewers that can replace Acrobat. Sumatra PDF is one I tend to use a lot.

lbenson

I could put up with setting the zoom for Adobe Acrobat whenever I started it, but the "feature" that drives me up the wall is that in Manual 1, 2, or 3 it changes the zoom level every time I click on a new index item on the left. Scrolling doesn't change the zoom level.

geezer88

Thanks for the information, Hippy, I didn't realize how the program passed on the request to the system. I use Foxit reader, and now that I've got my head back in the sunshine, I recognize it as what was pulled up. I'll now be able to do some research on Foxit to keep the zoom settings. On the off chance that there are other feebs like myself out there, I'll report back to the group what I find.
tom

Here's what I found: On Foxit reader, in the settings there is a section called page view. In this section is a checkbox that forbids zoom changes when using the bookmarks to jump to another page. The default setting is to go to whatever the default setting is, each time you jump to another bookmark.

I also found there is another setting that is useful. Instead of "fit to width" of page, "fit to visible" works better. The picaxe manual has very wide margins, so setting the fit visible trims off all the wasted space. I should mention that I work on a 13" laptop, so I don't have resolution to spare.

tom

Last edited: