Lost Code!

Gramps

Here's the scenario. We loaded code to a chip a year ago. It's working perfectly doing it's intended job flawlessly.
Now we would like to write that piece of code on a new chip for a new project.
Alas, the program seems to have disappeared from the Editor!
Is it possible to recover the code from the first chip and write it to the new one?
P.S. I'm sure this has never happened to anyone else!
Gramps

Buzby

There is absolutley no way to get code out of a PICAXE, but are you sure it's not still on your PC ?

PE6 might have made an auto-backup, if you had that option set.

( I had it set and forgot about it. When I found it again I had thousands of backups going back years !. )

Gramps

Thanks for the tips.
I haven't given up looking. Just wondered if there was an easy way.

erco

Good call, I definitely use forums to archive software and schematics. I change computers every few years, Lord only knows where "that" program is!

bpowell

When the PICAXE firmware is written to the PIC chip; the code-protect bits have been set. Therefore, you can not view or copy the code on the chip itself.

If the code on there is *really* worth it to you, I'm sure you could sent the chip off to some "code recovery" service that has the tools and expertise to crack the code protection and download the image...but it would probably be several hundred dollars. With that, you'd just get a HEX file that you could upload to raw PICs ... the upside is: Once you upload that hex file, you'll have a new PICAXE with your code pre-installed! The downside is: You'd be stealing the PICAXE firmware.