Long distance people counter

martinn

I have built several passive infra-red (PIR) based Picaxe data-loggers that record the number of people walking into the detecting area, these work well, however, PIR is limited to about 8-10 metres. I would like to build a counter that covers a width of 30-50 metres without having to have a receiver and transmitter, has anyone any suggestions that does not require a receiver and transmitter or at least a very low powered method because counters have to be in place for 3-6 months using at most 4 AA batteries.

Martin

Dippy

Do you mean a 30m to 50m range?
What 'beam' angle?
You realise if you start going for long ranges or widths that it won't be able to resolve a single person versus 5 good friends holding hands?
And a single person can 'shade' everything else if walking side-by-side.
Indoors or outdoors?
Is it to detect a moving target or just the 'presence'?

But, on the face of it, I can't think of a solution for a single station device, long range, probably narrow beam, using low power and no doubt a tight budget? Unless you have a source of special polythene lenses in conjunction with PIR.

I tried a powerful target/retro reflection single-station design a while ago. Very precise but never got anywhere near those ranges. And it used 4 D cells and lasted 6 months.

If outdoors/long range/PIR then you're asking for false triggers unless you do a lot of procesing yourself?

Dippy

The only other thing I can think of is microwave.
But it does need some non-newbie levels of electronics and construction. And size and budget...

I take it you were hoping that this device would be matchbox sized for easy disguise?

MFB

The Handbook of Optical Through the Air Communications by David Johnsons is a good source of practical tips on extending the range of IR beams. The handbook can be downloaded free of charge from www.imagineeringezine.com/files/air-bk2.html.
There are many interesting communications projects that include both theory and details, like schematics.

martinn

Thnks for the thought provoking questions Dippy - comments below

Do you mean a 30m to 50m range?
>Yes – at least 25 metre point to point range

What 'beam' angle?
>None just a straight line, in principle it is really as simple as triggering a broken beam

You realise if you start going for long ranges or widths that it won't be able to resolve a single person versus 5 good friends holding hands?
>Yes this is a problem with virtually all counters (typically a PIR has a 0.3 sec delay); it can be partially resolved by undertaking a site sample survey and creating a correction factor. Many counters are on ‘shared’ paths, where you find problems with mothers and prams, people walking dogs and pairs of people using bicycles. Depending on the site the correction factor can be as high as 1.5. It is generally acceptable that such systems are only around 75-80% accurate (even most road traffic counters struggle to get high precision)

And a single person can 'shade' everything else if walking side-by-side.
>Yes - no easy solution - all counter systems suffer the same problem unless you can forced people through a narrow space (and sometime you can).
>The long range is generally only required for open low use areas where little control exists with access points.

Indoors or outdoors?
>Sorry should have said - outdoors

Is it to detect a moving target or just the 'presence'?
> It really just needs to detect a person moving through a single point – a laser or infra-red transmitter-receiver was my first thought, but a single station is easier to setup and in theory less likely to cause problems.

But, on the face of it, I can't think of a solution for a single station device, long range, probably narrow beam, using low power and no doubt a tight budget? Unless you have a source of special polythene lenses in conjunction with PIR.
> Budget is not really a problem – commercial short-range PIR counters are >A$1000
>I had not considered the idea of using special lenses (I have been using narrow beam PIR Fresnel lenses and can in ideal conditions get around 20 metres outdoors) I know some of the PIR activated security cameras are claiming ranges up to 150m.
> Perhaps it just has to be a transmitter and receiver set-up – that is liveable just a few more restrictions on installation locations

I tried a powerful target/retro reflection single-station design a while ago. Very precise but never got anywhere near those ranges. And it used 4 D cells and lasted 6 months.

If outdoors/long range/PIR then you're asking for false triggers unless you do a lot of procesing yourself?
>This is a problem with short-range PIR – finding a suitable set up point helps, accepting a level of false trigger is tolerable, equally post-processing data is not really a major problem, currently all data is processed in Excel. I do not how you would differentiate between real and false data

I take it you were hoping that this device would be matchbox sized for easy disguise?
> Not really the current PIR devices are around 125x75x30mm, and can be easily installed in a bollard, similar landscape hardware or buried, far larger devices can be ‘hidden’ provided the ‘beam’ generator is relatively small (the PIR sensors can be connected to the datalogger via a simple shielded 3 wire cable several metres long – the PIR sensors I have made are 19mm wide and 60mm long). If hidden in a bollard I suppose a lantern battery could be used.

Dippy

Qu'elle coincidence.
I used to design this sort of stuff and came across all the problems you highlight.

I'm not a fan of PIR unless a lot of processing is done. Doesn't matter about false triggers (within reason) for a security camera but you'll know the problems of using PIR outdoors for counting people and dogs/cattle/wombats.

A pencil beam over a distance of 50m is obviously asking for laser (shriek-panic-we'll-all-go-blind fraternity alert!!), but you may get some mileage with well lensed IR LEDs - using an OD880W or expensive OD-100. To make a non-laser single-station target-reflective device you'll need some serious ooomph and bleedin good lensing.

In my design I used the TBA2800 for Rx, now no longer around unless some Beijing company has picked up the design. Special lenses and lens holders/baffles were used. The TR design was all on a single circuit board and special layouts were required to stop the Tx interfering with the Rx. The O/p power was variable depending on the ambient light and the device could (within reason) discriminate target size/distance. This was so, for example, the device could 'fire' into hedges on the other side of a footpath but still discriminate between background and a person walking by. There was a lot more to it but I won't bore you.

You could make your own receiver as shown that terrific handbook above, but check out power consumption. The TBA2800 was far lower. A long defunct chip made by Plessey semiconductors was even better but heavier on the juice. Not ideal for batteries.

I also tried, as mentioned, a version with larger lenses and better focussing. Yes, a longer range but needed a lot more dev. work to make it worthwile. And it wasn't so that was the end of that.

I also tried a semi IR laser. Initial results were poor, but again given time I reckon this could have been good.

Sorry, I can't think of anything that can do the job in a single-station.

Going reflective may be tempting. A Target/Retro reflective station aiming at a reflector on a post 50 metres away. This would be a piece of cake. BUT the power required would mean that someone passing close to your station reflects directly and doesn't cause an apparent 'break'. I've seen this happen sometimes, especially at lower ambient light levels. You effectively have a minimum ditance range requirement too.
Again using laser would almost cerainly get rid of this problem. But setting up an 'invisible' infra-red laser that is SO sharp that alignment would be a nightmare. Maybe red lser would be OK but then every bugger can see it and 'pinch' your box. Or, if it were Stan, he'd put putty over the laser and put in a claim for compensation. (Just kidding mate).
And your post might wobble.

One area which I didn't persue (but should have) was an active reflector. Power levels would be much lower and the reflection problems as mentioned would all but disappear. Though this doesn't have much advantage over standard 2 station break-beam.

This active method could use microwave, which your body will reflect and attenuate.

No easy answer and quite a lot of compromise/correction factors/stats needed.. but then you know that already.

Dippy

Good spotting eclectic.
They may be of use to people doing non-standard stuff I reckon.
We've still got about 100 of the blooming things.

Shack

I made a timing system for some people many years ago and I used a short length of PVC pipe with a cheap lens from Edmonds Scientific and IR LED's. A simple one shot circuit and a counter.

It had a range will over 50 meters and they used them for barrel racing events to time the horses .... crossing the beam to trigger the clock.

Surveyors also use them and set the target (reflector) on a tripod several hundred meters away. I believe they are using lasers.

You can also buy a cheap pointing laser with a target to reflect it back to your control unit. You can buy those for ~ $5. I have some that I use to align the race car. Not sure of the duty cycle on the batteries but I would think you are pretty optimistic to expect 6 months out of 4 small batteries when you need this much range = power.

Dippy

Well, that's right. Break-beam is a cinch. As you know, it's been around for donkey's. There are dozens of variants using this method. Yes, surveyors use laser, but they don't leave their devices unattended for 6 months. And they don't come from Ebay :)

Martin's preference was for a single-station device. And being built on-the-cheap I don't think is an issue.