Lead Protection?

jadesteffen

I was wondering how much of a threat the lead in components and solder poses to my health? should I wear rubber gloves when building circuits and/or soldering?

Rickharris

I Europe and many other countries leaded solder has been banned from this year.

In general I don;t think the average hobbyiest will get enough exposure to cause any serious damage if you take sensible precautions such as good ventalation, avoid the fumes (which are mostly flux anyway), dont chew solder, wash hands after using or at the end of work/before eating.

Unleaded solder is available although not popular with everyone - Personally I don't have a problem with it.

Remember depending on where you live, the age of your house and your local water sources you may well ingest more lead from water pipes or underground sources, for the atmosphere or from other products found in the home such as old peweter.

moxhamj

Agree with the last post. On a scale of risk this one is very low. People who live near a lead smelter need to take the issue seriously and certainly there is data correllating children's IQ and distance from lead smelters. I wouldn't bother wearing gloves when soldering but I do wash my hands afterwards. If you are really worried go along to your friendly local doctor and say you have been using solder and can you please have a blood test for lead levels. As a medical doctor who does these tests from time to time, I would be almost certain it would be normal.

inglewoodpete

The recent legislative changes by some governments regarding the use of lead, while well intended, is only of significance to an insignificant part of the population. Only those people who bathe in molten(!) or, more importantly, vaporised lead are going to benefit significantly by the changes. Breathing the dust from old lead-based paint as a far greater risk than using solder with a soldering iron.

I used to work in the telephone exchange installation industry in the 70s and 80s and, along with my work colleagues of the day, literally soldered over a million joints. I have not heard of any medical problems as a result of our work. In a unionised workplace, if there were any real concerns, the practice would have stopped years earlier.

The temperatures reached using a soldering iron are much safer than when working around lead with gas torches/burners etc.

Of course, as Rick says, never use your mouth as a third hand, tempting as it can be at times!

manuka

Groan- here Stan goes again! I've raised this problem any number of times, ESPECIALLY as it relates to sloppy workroom facilities (& practises...) that often feature in schools. Since kids are especially vulnerable to lead,I REALLY worry that Health & Safety issues & long term legal liability may arise for educators & admin. It's happened before (here in NZ anyway) with harmless old asbestos, gory biology dissections (TB), funny old mercury,lab chemicals (ether & benzene etc) & even kids playgrounds (treated timbers).

I too must have soldered a zillion joints, & maintain a keen eye for environmental lead too. In my case this may have arisen via exposure to ammunition (army) & shot (ducks/rabbits), house renovations, lead based paint, drinking water, plumbing & even leaded petrol etc. Yikes! I have blood tests for lead level checks regularly as a condition of electronic workshop activities as well. Yes- low.

The symptoms of lead poisoning are well documented <A href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>&amp; I thankfully seem to be exempt most, ALTHOUGH I've noted them apparently troubling others who've had a life time behind a hot iron...

My advice- practise prudent avoidance &amp; keep aware of findings.

Footnote: Forum regulars will expect my usual lead free Picaxe pointer<A href='http://www.picaxe.orcon.net.nz/bread08.jpg ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

premelec

Whereas lead has got all the bad press my personal experience is that burning organics from heated circuit boards, fluxes, wire insulation accidently touched with soldering iron and scorched pants [BTW use a lap cloth when wearing shorts... :)] - are the worst hazard and I usually run a fan accross the work area to dilute the fumes.... as well as finding their smell addictive after 58 years of happy soldering...

Dippy

All of the above.
For us occasional amateurs the practice of good extractor ventilation and a dose of common sense when soldering is probably fine. Do not suck your solder or lick your fingers.

But for blokes in rural China heating boards to extract the metal its not so good.

If you do decide to go the lead-free solder route be aware of a couple of things.
1) If you are using a thermostatic solder-station you may need to turn up the heat.
2) Get good quality lead-free solder for better wetting.
3) If you are a crappy solderer you are more likely to damage components due to extra heat.
4) Lead-free solder has a slightly more corrosive effect on iron tips than lead/tin. You may have to replace your tip with one designed for lead-free soldering - and that's a fact I discovered at cost.
5) Standard pcb will not take so many solder/unsolder/resolder cycles.

PS. 6) Your solder joints will probably ALL look like dry joints. Don't panic.

Happy, hotter sodlering.

As you can see, 300 years of soldering have not affected Stan, though he is apparently changing his name to Mary next week.

Edited by - Dippy on 14/09/2006 17:29:55

manuka

My soldering slant is essentially youngster focused, since that's the age when lead most does it's mischief. Us oldies have often done endless mischief to ourselves via other temptations (many of them bottled.)

Footnote: I recently spotted a local kid fishing, &amp; between strikes he was chewing on a lead sinker, as &quot;It tastes sweet&quot;...

premelec

and there is even a compound called &quot;sugar of lead&quot; I recall [but I don't recall the formula...

manuka

That's lead acetate <A href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_acetate ' Target=_Blank>External Web Link</a>

Can we PLEASE give this topic a bypass- this IS a Picaxe forum...