LCDs

Edward

Hi

I am looking at buying an LCD display to use with my PICAXE to display temp. Do I have to use the AXE033 display or can I use any other LCD display like this for example: http://www.surplustronics.co.nz/shop/product-LA0320.html
Will i be able to send text via the single pin serial connection?
Thanks

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
You don't have to use the AXE033. There are four choices, a serially controlled LCD module ( like the AXE033 ), a serially controlled LCD, a parallel controlled LCD ( as most are ), or a parallel controlled LCD driven by an interface to make it serially controlled ( which is in essence what the AXE033 is ).

Most LCD's which are serially controlled will explicitly state they are. The LA0320 linked to is probably not, so you'll likely need an additional interface.

Whether that LA0320 will work with a serial interface depends upon the the display and there's no information which I could see on that site.

It's always a gamble buying 'surplus' without a datasheet. The easiest option is the AXE033, any other ready built module, or a serial controlled LCD. Otherwise it's a case of research into the display you are thinking of buying and the whole field of LCD interfacing.