LCD display , Help Please

dave_scfc

Hi there , im pretty new here.

Im looking for some help on my HNC project im building an alarm panel. and ive come a little un stuck on LCD display at the moment.

Which type to have , does it need to be interfaced. how many i/o does take up. Im using a 40-x Pic processor. also which code do i need to use for numbers in the prorgramming.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks for your time​

eclectic

Welcome to the Forum.

The AXE033 serial LCD is the easiest way to start.

The Programme Editor can simulate it,
while you're waiting for one to be delivered.

E

Attachments

dave_scfc

thanks for the response. Where can i download the simulator and also whats the code you've entered to display that . Also is there any where i can grab a datasheet of the display . Thanks again :)

eclectic

thanks for the response. Where can i download the simulator and also whats the code you've entered to display that . Also is there any where i can grab a datasheet of the display . Thanks again :)
http://81.134.141.187/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.TechSupplies/Products/AXE033

Click the datasheet link.
It'll explain connections and codes.

The Simulator is part of the Programming Editor.
Download from the
Software and Drivers link
at the top of the page.
e

Last edited:

dave_scfc

Thanks , am i right in saying that the LCD will take only one input and one output, furthermore is it possible to intergrate the clock onto my panel . Thanks again

eclectic

Thanks , am i right in saying that the LCD will take only one input and one output, furthermore is it possible to intergrate the clock onto my panel . Thanks again
One output from the Picaxe.

Leave the clock for the time being.
Get the simple stuff working first.

e

BeanieBots

Hi dave_scfc, and welcome to the forum.
As part of your HNC you will also need to do some reading and demonstrate that you fully understand the devices you will be using.

For simplicity, I go along with the suggested AXE033 LCD unit.
All your questions are answered by reading the linked to datasheet.

It supports both serial (only one connection required) and I2C (two connections) methods of communication.

If you want to use the real-time-clock, you will need to use the I2C method but as suggested earlier, I would strongly suggest just using the serial method for now. Consider the clock (which will require an understanding of BCD numbers) for later improvements.

Have a good read of the AXE033 datasheet and the PICAXE programming manual. Then have a play in the simulator.

westaust55

datasheets and the AXE033

@dave_scfc,
For information, all datasheets for the Rev Ed range of bards and kits are available by clicking on the "Datasheets" tab on the orange bar at the top of the forum pages.

For almost any IC's and many modules if you go to google and type in the part number followed by "datasheet" you can access the necessary datasheet for that item.

@all
With respect to the AXE033, untested by myself (should do that), but others have reported that it is possible to drive the LCD via Serial comms and still access the DS1307 RTC via i2c.

manie

Andrew:

BRAVO ! very "brave" of you, assume you are single or if married, your wife does not read this forum..............