LCD Display - AXE131 Driver kit

eclectic

Just my personal opinion.
Many people are are wary of external sites,
or, just can't be bothered to spend time or effort looking.
When you reply, use the
"Insert Image" Icon and Thumbnails.

Much faster for viewers to see.

e

KhtbX2z.jpg

Anonym

Just my personal opinion.
Many people are are wary of external sites,
or, just can't be bothered to spend time or effort looking.
When you reply, use the
"Insert Image" Icon and Thumbnails.

Much faster for viewers to see.

e

View attachment 23601
Oh, thanks for the heads up! Did not realize that... will use your way next time I post!

Anonym

Tried moving to the C.0 pin and using hsersetup and hserout, but still no luck. The picaxe is powered, the display is powered, my output is connected to the display driver input correctly and the code is directly from the manual... what can be wrong?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
The AXE131 board which attaches to the LCD should be initialising the display when powered-up so, that it isn't, would seem to suggest an issue with the AXE131 itself.

Some of the soldering on the LCD connector looks decidedly 'blobby' so it may be that there's not a good electrical connection between the AXE131 and the LCD.

Attachments

Anonym

The AXE131 board which attaches to the LCD should be initialising the display when powered-up so, that it isn't, would seem to suggest an issue with the AXE131 itself.

Some of the soldering on the LCD connector looks decidedly 'blobby' so it may be that there's not a good electrical connection between the AXE131 and the LCD.
Right, thanks, will re-do them and get back.

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Some of your other soldering on your earlier boards looks to be a bit blobby as well so it could be you just need to get a bit more confident with holding the iron on the pad for longer while the solder melts and forms a nice volcano shape. Adafruit have a nice illustration here -

Anonym

Some of your other soldering on your earlier boards looks to be a bit blobby as well so it could be you just need to get a bit more confident with holding the iron on the pad for longer while the solder melts and forms a nice volcano shape. Adafruit have a nice illustration here -

Thanks a lot! I've already made more blobs though... but I think that at least everything has to be properly connected now; but it still doesn't work.

Attachments

bfgstew

Looks like you have not fitted a 10K pot, this allows contrast adjustment of the screen. See the data sheet, but think it needs to go to pins 2, 3 and 4..........but check first!

Anonym

Looks like you have not fitted a 10K pot, this allows contrast adjustment of the screen. See the data sheet, but think it needs to go to pins 2, 3 and 4..........but check first!
I have, that's the orange knob hanging off of the thing in my second picture... but thanks for the effort!

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
You could try reprogramming the AXE133.bas firmware into the AXE131 board. If there's no firmware in the chip it won't be communicating with the LCD.

Anonym

You could try reprogramming the AXE133.bas firmware into the AXE131 board. If there's no firmware in the chip it won't be communicating with the LCD.
IT WORKS!!! Reprogrammed the firmware and it did nothing, but then noticed the part about
Code:
; Note you must uncomment just one of these two options
; depending on whether you have an LCD or OLED module
#define use_OLED
;define use_LCD
So I changed it to
Code:
; Note you must uncomment just one of these two options
; depending on whether you have an LCD or OLED module
;define use_OLED
#define use_LCD
and it works!! Well, there is one detail... though the screen display my message correctly, after that it also sais "LCD", and on the second line "www.picaxe.com". How do I get rid of that/clear the screen?

Attachments

Anonym

One remark... this only seems to work for/control lines 1 and 3 of the display. Is there any way to get control of all four lines?

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Looking at your photo in post #15 there are four lines of background squares so it seems it could be a case that you are not actually accessing all four lines when writing to the display so things could be appearing off screen.

Continually writing "X" or any other characters should eventually fill the screen but a better way to do things is to run the code from the following thread which will identify what the codes need to be to access the start of each line -

https://picaxeforum.co.uk/threads/lcd-oled-memory-mapping.20677

hippy

Technical Support
Staff member
Well, there is one detail... though the screen display my message correctly, after that it also sais "LCD", and on the second line "www.picaxe.com". How do I get rid of that/clear the screen?
In the AXE133 firmware there is a "#define use_welcome" line ( about line 27 ). If you comment out that line and download that to the AXE131 board the LCD won't show "Serial LCD /www.picaxe.com" when its start up, will be a blank screen.

Anonym

In the AXE133 firmware there is a "#define use_welcome" line ( about line 27 ). If you comment out that line and download that to the AXE131 board the LCD won't show "Serial LCD /www.picaxe.com" when its start up, will be a blank screen.
Thanks thanks! As mention in my I2C backpack post, I'm moving onto a proper OLED I2C display. But don´t worry, I'm keeping all of this in case I decide to come back to the LCD.