Laser Tag With Picaxe

obroni

I got hold of a couple of 28X1's last week with the intention of making some laser tag guns. I have been having a bit of a play around with them and I really blown away at how easy and quickly I have progressed.

I've not had any micro controller experience before, but have a reasonable amount of programming experience. But even still it really brings a whole new dimension to what you can do with simple circuits.

My intention it to start some sort of project called something like:-

Open Tag
Open Laser Tag
Axe Tag
LasAXE Tag

I dunno, suggestions welcome.

Anyway, the project will be completely open, both hardware and software, so anyone can build the system or contribute if they so wish. I will try and create a website in the future with more details, full code listing and circuit.

At the moment, I have two circuits which send a serial byte with parity containing player and team data modulated on to a 38khz carrier wave. I also have a LCD screen hooked up to show Health, Player ID and ammo.

So far each circuit has cost just under £10, including LCD (although I got them for £1 each)

Here's a quick teaser:-

BeanieBots

Welcome to the forum and congratualtions on your progress so far.
Certainly, one of the joys of PICAXE is it's ease of use and this friendly and active forum.
There are many open projects posted in the "Finished Projects" section.

Please feel free to post in that area where people can view and comment on your project.

obroni

Not yet, I',m concentrating on getting the electronics and logic working first and then I will worry about casing it and focussing the beam.

However even with a lens I had one of the circuits inside looking out the kitchen window. I got the whole length up the garden (80-90 feet) and it was still working. You can probably see I put some heat shrink over the IR led to help narrow the beam as well for testing. I am driving about 1 amp through the IR led however so it packs quite a punch.

obroni

Yes I have been using that site for quite a few ideas. In fact my circuit has a very similar layout. However I wanted to use the hser* commands on the picaxe to be able to recieve bytes in the background, so everything is done in serial bytes. From what I see milestag is using pulses. I don't think the two would ever be able to be compatible.

Of course there is always the chance that at some point down the line I realise that I have limited myself somehow by using the hser* commands and swap.