L297 driving an L293E?

ferrymanr

I am currently using an L297 to drive an L298 with some success but do not need quite so much power capability. It seems the L293E will handle 1A at 24V but has much better quiescent current, is cheaper than the L298 and is a standard DIL layout. I will still need an L297 for control to save a LOT of code and overhead in a PICAXE chip.

However I can't find any data sheets that show an L297 driving an L293E or similar, only the L297 to L298 configuration.

Has anyone experience of The L297 driving an L293E?

Richard
'

ferrymanr

Thanks eclectic. I do have those and also the application notes AN460, AN240, AN238. All of which are useful, particularly AN460. Some of the data sheets do refer to using the L297 with the L293E but don't give any examples. Anyway I will try it and see what happens!
Richard.

cdngunner

We can use L297 with monolithic bridge drives such as L293E or L298N,
Most data sheets make this statement and show a diagram L297 being used with the L298N

Here is a schematic of the L293

sorry all i could find

Last edited:

ferrymanr

Thanks very much cdngunner. The first circuit is similar to my first breadboarded prototype and works well with pulses and control from a PICAXE 28X1.

The second circuit is nearer my goal. That is the first time I have seen a circuit that actually combines those chips. The only difference with the L293E would be the current sense that is not on the L293. It would simply mean a couple of 1 ohm resistors added to the current sense pins of the L293E and connected back to the L297 pretty much the same as in the L298 circuit.

Amazingly this is my first foray into using stepper motors in 55 years of engineering - I am more involved with RF.

Richard (Dick) G4BBH