L293 or L298

shamu

Hi all.

I'm hoping to design and build a line follower type robot and can't decide on which driver to use, the L293 or L298. I intend using two DC motors and require forward and reverse with pwm speed control.

I have read up on previous posts but I'm still unsure, can anyone advise please.

Thanks in anticipation.

eclectic

Please describe (or preferably post a datasheet)
of the motors you wish to use.

Then, how far have you already got with planning?
More circuit/build details will help others to advise you.

e

g6ejd

L293 is a lower power dissappation device than L298. What motors and supply voltage are you using?

If you had a choice - I suppose L298 assuming the cost difference is marginal (I don't know the cost difference).

L293 is not pin-for-pin compatible with the L298, so if you have any circuits that your using to guide you, then suggest you stick with the same device used in any examples, unless your really confident.

You motor spec. will give you current demands, stall currents, etc, then check with the data sheets to see which device matches your need.

SAborn

If you choose the L293 than try to get the L293B chip as it will handle up to 1 amp compared to only 600ma with the L293.(or L293D)

For ease of circuit use the L293 is much easier to use due to is dip package, and the L298 is a right bugger of a package to route the pins out from, but it is a bigger driver and will handle more current. it also works very well when used with the L297 chip.

Haku

To initially drive my RP5 tracked chassis I bought a L298N on a pre-made board with pin headers & screw terminals, it works a treat when controlled from a Picaxe with 2 PWM outputs to control the speed of the 2 motors, and 4 outputs to control the direction of the 2 motors.

But the L298N board was too big to fit inside the chassis with the batteries, so I made two custom h-bridges which I copied the circuit from a commercially sold RC car (the one Hitari used in their A-Team Van, Dukes of Hazzard & Knight Rider vehicles), along with an AND & NOT gate setup so the Picaxe only has to supply 2 PWM outputs & 2 motor direction outputs.

westaust55

If the motors are less than 1 Amp, then another driver chip option is the SN754410 which is pin for pin compatible with the L293D but rated at 1 Amp continuous.

Since we do not know where shamu is located, a suggestion: Futurlec sell the SN754410 but not the L293B
www.futurlec.com.au/
www.futurlec.com

inglewoodpete

For ease of circuit use the L293 is much easier to use due to is dip package, and the L298 is a right b****r of a package to route the pins out from, but it is a bigger driver and will handle more current.
I have used the L298 several times on veroboard/stripboard. You just have to give one row of pins a bit of a 'push' to get it to fit. No problems.

SAborn

I have used the L298 several times on veroboard/stripboard. You just have to give one row of pins a bit of a 'push' to get it to fit. No problems.
The best way to mount the odd legged devils is on double sided strip board (like the old computer cards with edge connectors) and place a row of legs each side of the board and solder the legs to the strips, i have even made boards like this with a square cut out the middle for the chip to fit into and then you can mount the heatsink close to flat on the bottom, as at full power they need a good sized heat sink, and that gets bulky hanging off the chip.
The edge of board mounting makes routing the tracks much easier too.

I had seen then mounted on commercial boards this way also.

jtcurneal

There are several versions of the 16 pin L293s.

The 293D is a 600 ma. 16 pin DIP that has on chip suppressor diodes.
The 293B is a 1 amp 16 pin DIP that does not have on chip diodes. ( External diodes are required )

Joel

westaust55

.... can't decide on which driver to use, the L293 or L298. I intend using two DC motors and require forward and reverse with pwm speed control.

I have read up on previous posts but I'm still unsure, can anyone advise please.
Think I'm leaning towards the L293.
@shamu
At post 1, you wanted advice, but now making a decision without yet providing any details of the motors, in particular the rated current, that would allow members here to confirm your selection.
You are not even clear about which 293 chip (or equivalent) you are now considering