Jumble Game?

jlochey

Hi everybody,

I have a question, or better put I need advice.

Remember doing those "Jumble" puzzles or word scramble puzzles in the newspaper?

Well, I'd like to make a project that would read from a list of predefined words (like 500 words) and then jumble them and display it to an LCD display.

Here is the question:

Before I do anything with the PicAxe, could I try to "model" this concept with the PicAxe Editor only? Would that be possible? Is there anyway to "model" the functionality of the LCD at all?

Thanks in advance,

John

jlochey

Wow! I like that website! Very cool!

Well my target audience is my 6/8/10 year old children.

I had envisioned having a "library" of 100+ words stored right in the code somewhere and then randomly picking a word, read the word into an array, mix it up and dump it to the LCD?

Probably over simplifying this a bit aren't I? ; )

I'm also probably making it quite clear that I don't know what the PicAxe can and cannot do! : )

John

womai

The Picaxe itself doesn't have enough memory to hold several hundred words. But you can use an external EEPROM, which is quite simple to interface through I2C (just 2 lines with 2 pullup resistors). Such EEPROMS can hold 65K characters and more (e.g. Microchip 24LC512).

Wolfgang

manuka

This soon starts eating into tight budgets- especially if more than one needed ! As the audience (even at that tender age) will no doubt already be keyboard literate, you may even be better off with a web based approach akin to that link above. Kids can just download as needed & you'd have no hardware setup costs. Stan