Is the CD4059 model....

fernando_g

Is the CD4059 model fully functional?
Other CD40xx counter circuits work fine, but this one I can't get to operate, although I wired it exactly as the datasheet's example indicates.

Dippy

CD4059 for the non-clairvoyant (and non-anorak) is a programmable divide-by-N counter.

I've never used it but I can't imagine a manufacturer selling a device that doesn't work.

Have you tried a second device?
(Please tell me you bought more than one. In UK they are dead cheap. In fact cheaper than potato crisps/chips :) ).

When I've had issues in the past it has usually been a case of me not understanding, rather than a duff product.

In the TI data sheet there are many example circuits.
Have you understood the difference between the Jam inputs and the K (modulus) inputs?

Have you set it to divide by Xthousand and only put 10 pulses in and then wondered why nothing has come out?

Its impossible to give you an answer.
My guess would be, that unless you have a duffer, you've done something wrong.
All people can really suggest is 'have you tried...'

In a minute you'll have a Eureka moment and get it sorted.

fernando_g

Dippy, thanks for your prompt response.
Yes indeed, I've played with the actual chip itself and have made it to count.

What I'm having problems with is in the VSM simulation software...and thus my question.

The reason I need to simulate, is that I have an idea for a complex frequency dividing scheme (with the Picaxe driving real time the the jamming inputs to do so).

The easiest would be to do all the dividing in PICAXE software, but the frequency is beyond its capabilities. Thus the need for a hardware support chip. A prescaler of sorts.

fernando_g

Found the solution..........

Finally.
Found the solution....But not the explanation how it works.

The circuit in the left counts, whereas the one in the right does not.
The fix? a 1 ohm resistor on the Kb, Kc lines.

These two lines, along with Ka, set the main divider ratio. In my application Ka=Kb=Kc=1 which will provide a initial ratio of 2.

However, Kb and Kc also have the dual role of presetting the jam inputs, which occurs by setting both to logic "0".

How does the 1 ohm achieve this in the simulation? Virtual capacitance? I don't know.
But it works.

Will leave it to the gurus for the explanation...........

Attachments

Last edited: