IR receiver -> Mouse

Innes

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 PC that I am using as a "Media Centre", and to control it I have a Logitech Harmony handset that transmits the correct codes to a USB DVB-T receiver that has a built-in IR receiver. Unfortunately, when the PC is put into standby, the DVB device is not capable of bringing the PC back to life - only the mouse/keyboard will do that!

I could spend a few quid and buy an 'official' IR receiver that would probably do the job, but I have done a lot of research and it seems that even commercial devices have problems with waking up PCs.

What I am thinking of doing for a solution is to dig out an old USB mouse and modify it to accept a mouse-click from a picaxe-controlled IR receiver. I could then programme the receiver to accept a specific code to 'click' a mouse button for me, and this would bring the PC out of standby.

I have all the components I need lurking in the garage; USB mice, some spare picaxes, several varieties of IR sensors and miscellaneous components, but I just wanted to ask for a bit of input before I get started.

1) Is this a stupid idea?
2) Am I missing something obvious?
3) Is there an easier way to achieve the same result?
4) Any other thoughts?

The only thing that I am bit uncomfortable about is the actual 'mouse click' bit; how do I complete the circuit for the mouse button without frying the USB port? I do have a few old PCs/motherboards that I could use to test the circuit before connecting it to my expensive media PC!

Also, I am hoping that the USB port will be able to power the receiver. Does that sound right before I waste my time looking for a solution?

I am hoping that someone can point me to a suitable circuit as a starting point.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Haku

It's rather a smart idea actually.

You could probably install an 08m + IR sensor in the USB mouse, all powered from the mouse's motherboard, and still work as a normal mouse.

As for making the Picaxe 'press' the mouse button, using a transistor across the mouse button contacts should probably do the job safely, with a current limiting resistor inbetween the transistor and Picaxe.

Then all you need is a 38khz IR sensor to wire into the Picaxe and a Sony remote control or a universal remote control set to output Sony codes. Look at the irin, infrain section of the 2nd manual for wiring examples & code.

MPep

Seems like a good way to do that.

Just need to measure how the buttons are wired. Do they switch to 0V, Vcc, or are they switched between 2 lines?

If 0V or Vcc, easy, use a transistor.
If between 2 lines, implement a 4016 or 4066 CMOS ic.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

papaof2

Or have the PICAXE operate a solenoid that presses the space bar. That's guaranteed to avoid any problems with USB ports being ignored when the PC is in standby.

John

william47316

you may not need a transistor at all to switch the mouse buttons.
if it switches to 0v (should be like that on most mice) you can use the picaxe pin to sink then set it high Z (if it switches from +v. source then high Z) so the original mouse button can still be used, i did a similar thing with an 08, converting a mouse to use touch plates instead of buttons

or if it switches using two separate lines without a ground/V+ reference you can use opto-isolators, use the picaxe to drive the LED and the phototransistor inside on the buttons,
and a plus it will be nice and compact if you use an 08M moreso if you use SMD 08M

Last edited:

Innes

Thanks for the comments; food for thought!

The PC is a brand new Acer Revo, so I don't fancy opening it up and making connections on the motherboard at the moment! It's not a particularly conventional motherboard either, so I think I'll steer clear of it unless absolutely necessary.

I think I'll stick with the mouse modification for the time being, as it means keeping the PC in one piece, and only modifying an easily and cheaply replaceable item (the mouse). Also, I can test that it works on an old banger of a PC before plugging into the new one. Another benefit is that I do need a mouse plugged into the PC for maintenance purposes, so this (hopefully) simple modification means that I will not have to use any additional ports.

I think I have enough information to get started; I just need to make room in my workshop - it has been filled with 'stuff' over Christmas, and I can't even get to my workbench at the moment!

papaof2

I just need to make room in my workshop - it has been filled with 'stuff' over Christmas, and I can't even get to my workbench at the moment!
Nice to know that I'm not alone in having lost access to the workbench...

John