Interrupt loop trap...

mickm2au

Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but it might be a trap for new players.(like me)

I programmed a short routine into a 08M which included a high interrupt on In3 and a high out on Pin2 early in the program. It loaded ok and seemed to run but when I tried to reprogram after changing a bit of code I got an error panel saying could not see Com 1???. Had me bug**ed for a while!! :confused: Checked circuit, lead etc (many times!!) then I realized that I'd set the interrupt on Pin2 not Pin3, so the 08m was trapped in a interrupt loop and the programming editor couldn't get it out. The only way to fix it was to click the program button in the editor and then switch on the power to the 08M before the editor com search timed out.

Just goes to show even the simplest little programs can screw you up... :eek:

westaust55

08M Interrupt loop trap

Thanks for that snippet.

IN the past I have been using only 40X1 PICAXE but am about to startw ith 08M's for some wireless experiments.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The power-off then power-on trick is referred to as a "Hard Reset" in the manuals and is necessary if the PICAXE has gone off and is doing things which causes it to ignore download initiations.

When downloading, wait for the pop-up to show "Connecting to Hardware..." before powering-up ( or releasing the Reset button ) for best chance at getting the download to work.

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
Hard Reset should never fail if the PICAXE is undamaged. The first thing which happens when the PICAXE is powered-up or reset is it checks for a download so, as long as it resets or powers up between the download being started and the timeout of "no hardware found", it should work.

That, "Oh no! It won't download, I've destroyed my PICAXE!", feeling hits us all at some time. Then we remember Hard Reset :)