Individual port failures

inglewoodpete

In my experience, PICs and PICAXEs are pretty tough chips. However, if a pin is damaged, usually with over-voltage, it is often difficult to determine if other damage has occurred to the silicon or not. You may find unexpected performance issues occur.

sbscott

I have a bunch of chips that I have collected over the years and thought I would test them to see if they still worked. Most did but, several, particularly the larger 40x1 are probably bad. I was able to load a simple port test program to turn on/off four ports. Three toggled but one did not. I am assuming that at least one port is bad on this chip?

inglewoodpete

I expect that all four ports are actually working OK. On the 40X1, Port D is an input-only port, so unlikely to even accept code to toggle the pins as outputs.

However, the PIC16F887 PIC that the 40X1 is built on has four bi-directional ports, so it may be possible to use the SFRs to turn these pins into outputs. I have not tried to do this, so you will be on your own if you want experiment.

erco

I haven't blown any Picaxe output pins but I have some BASIC Stamps with blown output pins which function fine otherwise. Amazingly a blown output pin can still function fine as an input. Per IWP, it likely depends on the nature and failure mechanism whether secondary damage is done to the silicon.

Last edited: