Importing parts - UK duty change

wbryan

It looks like buying parts from abroad (Sparkfun, et al) may soon get a little better for those of us in the UK. It appears that the £18 threshold for duty-free is going up to £127 on 1st December for items bought over the internet. More details on the BBC news website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7727717.stm

Now if only the pound hadn't plummeted to such a low against the dollar.

Will

Mycroft2152

Just curious. How long does it take for a package to arrive?

I just ordered form Rev_Ed and its going in the opposite direction.

FYI, a 50 pound order is a breakpoint before shipping goes up 50%.

Myc

wbryan

I've had the odd breakout board from NKC Electronics via USPS in 4 days (I think). I've sent stuff to the USA recently and it took about a week via the Royal Mail, but that was a small parcel, as opposed to a small Jiffy envelope.

Will

Mycroft2152

Just curious. How long does it take for a package to arrive?

I just ordered form Rev_Ed and its going in the opposite direction.

FYI, a 50 pound order is a breakpoint before shipping goes up 50%.

Myc
I was impressed. I placed an order online on Friday, it was shipped on Monday and arrived the next Friday.

Not bad for England to the Northeast US in 4 days.

I have had some US companiues take longer. Of course there was a $20 shipping charge.

Myc

moxhamj

That sales tax change made the general news here in Australia. Maybe there are lots of UK immigrants here who are getting annoyed at all the taxes when they send a small gift back home?

It certainly will help with trade. The Aus dollar has fallen against the US$, but the Aus dollar to pound hasn't changed much. That kind of suggests the US$ has gone up. I don't understand the world of finance. The US has a financial meltdown and its currency increases in value?!

leftyretro

That sales tax change made the general news here in Australia. Maybe there are lots of UK immigrants here who are getting annoyed at all the taxes when they send a small gift back home?

It certainly will help with trade. The Aus dollar has fallen against the US$, but the Aus dollar to pound hasn't changed much. That kind of suggests the US$ has gone up. I don't understand the world of finance. The US has a financial meltdown and its currency increases in value?!
Yea, but it all started back when the King taxed our tea :p

Technical

Technical Support
Staff member
Don't confuse UK sales tax (VAT) with duty. Most of the charge on an import to the UK is VAT, not duty (VAT is 17.5% at present, 15% from Monday).

So if you buy a parcel of bits from USA worth £100 you are still liable to £15 of VAT tax, plus a handling charge by the courier company - ParcelForce is £8, so total charge £23....