I2C wiring

apburner

So I am looking at the schematic in the FAQ for the I2C and find resistors with values of 4k7.
Can I assume this is equal to 4.7k ohms?
Steve

Hydroid

So I am looking at the schematic in the FAQ for the I2C and find resistors with values of 4k7.
Can I assume this is equal to 4.7k ohms?
Steve
Yes, resistor values are often written with the 'K' in place of the decimal point (I use that notation all the time - I find it simpler).

Regards, John.

apburner

I've been around electronics since the mid 60's and have never noticed it. but I do kinda like it.
I think a nice way to simplify the notation a bit.
Thanks for the quick response.
Steve

hippy

Ex-Staff (retired)
The issue is a regional thing. Europe favours 4K7 and 100nF while the US and Antipodes favours 4.7K and 0.1uF. If not exposed to the other it comes as a bit of a surprise when it arrives. The rationale is that it's very easy to lose dots / periods in print and images and in some countries decimal point is represented by comma ( 1.6V = 1,6V ) and in some countries commas ( as in 1,000,000 ) are replaced by spaces ( 1 000 000 ) so it all becomes confusing.

Other differences are the use of the ohm symbol replaced by R is Europe, and use of "ground" for 0V. There are probably others as well.

My personal hobby horse is ISO 8601, date representation of "yyyy-mm-dd", which avoids the huge potential for confusion over what dates like 02/01/2010 represents.

One thing which personally concerns me in the UK is that EPE magazine is now importing a lot of content which uses non-standard European circuit labelling.

Last edited:

westaust55

Using the multiplier (k, etc) in place of the decimal point was brought about by the BSI (British Standards) around 1975.
There was an article in Nuts and Volts magazine aeons ago but cannot locate a webpage to link.

Hydroid

My personal hobby horse is ISO 8601, date representation of "yyyy-mm-dd", which avoids the huge potential for confusion over what dates like 02/01/2010 represents..
A pet peeve of mine too. Was taught in school here in Canada to use DD-MM-YYYY (and it stuck simply because the placeholders that way are in alphabetical order :)), but at work the standard was MM-DD-YYYY so things always used to get confusing.

For the last 20+ years, I've been using DD-MMM-YYYY, as in 28 AUG 2010....

May not be 'correct', but there is NO confusion...

Grogster

I always write using the 4k7 approach. Not to parapharase anyone here, but it can be easier then you think, to misread 4.7k as 47k and not 4-point-7 k.

As with Ohms, always refer to resisters with the capital R - 330R(330 ohms), or 4R7(4.7 ohms)

I also carry that over to capacitors: 1n5(1.5 nF) or 2u2(2.2 microfarrads) for example.

It has become something of a personal thing, but yeah - if you are not used to the way other people write the same values, it can be a point of confusion all right! :p

premelec

'Yesterday' 'Today' ???

Hydroid what I find annoying in these listings is the yesterday and today type notation - when I save the text for future reference I have no clue as to the date! - except file save time if I haven't edited and changed that... I use dates so they can be number sorted - e.g 20100828 which is the day after 20100827 Also since this forum is used by time zones around the earth it would seem better tp specify a numeric time. I sis spend many years of my life in USA with wristwatch time set to GMT/Z - it got to be a hassle when people wanted to look at my watch...:)

Happy days - I just got an 18M2 in mail and loaded an old 18X program I wrote 6 years ago into it and it worked fine right off... going to be a fun chip!

Rbeckett

Thanks Guys!!! Being a new comer from the US that explains a lot for me. I just got interested in electronics as a late life distraction and have been learning a lot through forums such as this and many others, and the notations were all a little confusing to say the least. That explains a whole lot for me!!!!!! Thanks.
Bob

westaust55

Hi Bob.

Welcome to the PICAXE forum.

The PICAXE is a very ecomonical and versatile controller chips that in general is very easy to use.

Additionally, just reading throught the threads regularly may expand your knowledge further. Also the entire forum is agreat place to search for potential answers if you take the time to search.

When problems do arise that you cannot find an answer for, you will find no better site/forum to achieve answers in an expediant timeframe.

KandH

Westaust55 is correct - When I found the PICAXE chip I was coming from a rather spoilt existence playing with BASIC Stamps with all their nice clean code.

I found the memory and variable conventions of the PICAXE daunting, READADC - what was that? As well as many other new things!

However, this forum has helped me massively - not only simply by searching the forum to see if someone has asked my question before, but also the responses you get from people on here. They are all friendly, none of this "You're such a n00b" elitist crap you get elsewhere.

Even the most well-read and knowledgable people on here are more than happy to go back to basics to help explain an unexpected result or problem.

Rbeckett

West, And KANDH thanks so much. I appreciate the warm welcome. I am actually very deep in the developement of a device for my CNC Plasma Table and believe that I can program an 18X to provide my solution. I am using a preision voltage splitter to read Arc voltage and control a stepper motor to maintain proper torch to work distance. Since I am completely new to electronics in general and chip programming specifically it is an adventure so far. As I make progress I will post up the code and the results of the mock-up device. Thanks again!!!!
Bob