I want to combat a Starling problem

BobGreenie

:mad:

I have a steep pitched roof, recently paid big money to have it painted and have been invaded by starlings who have soiled the roof and the droppings have started to lift my new paint. The painters have "walked away" from a 10 guarantee because it is outside the terms of guarantee after a mere 18 months. There are no easy answers but I want to pursue one with a little help for an aged novice.

I have researched all options and tried audio sonics but these are largely useless or inappropriate in an urban environment.

I want to install either (a) a small electric motor with light rotating arms with scare devices like a couple of old CDs or (b) a small bell to scare them off the roof. It maybe either 230volt or lesser 6 or 12 volt if a bell or whatever.

I want to have the ability to activate every few minutes for a few seconds to send them packing. Can someone offer me some basic information as to circuitry and parts required from my local Picaxe dealer. I have found although he stocks parts he is not entirely helpful in my plight and simply wants to know what parts I want.

Thanks in anticipation and happy Christmas folks.

BrendanP

I would cut a silhouette of a falcon out of sheet metal or sheet plastic, ply etc and paint it black. Mount a flexible thin rod (old fishing rod, fibreglass rod like those things they mount on back of wheel chairs so you dont plow into the chair in car park) from the side of the roof so it will hang over the roof wit the tip say a couple of meters in the air. Attach your silhouettte with some fishing line so when the vermin look up they see the outline of the angel of death hovering above them.

Theyre depth perception might be lousy or they might just be scared as hell of flacons but they can't seem tell if its 2 meters about or 100 metrs and about to go into a attack dive. I'm preety confident that will solve your problem.

If live in the US go buy a air rifle and start shooting them as well.

Last edited:

inglewoodpete

Two possible solutions, one a little more expensive than the other but neither involve PICAXEs.

1. Move to Western Australia. No Starlings.

2. Buy some rubber snakes from a joke/gag shop. Our local birds won't go near snakes (live or rubber). Of course, we have snakes so the birds are afraid of them. It might not work for you if snakes are not endemic to your part of the world.

demonicpicaxeguy

pay a little visit to a boat shop they have bird scarers that are perfect for the job... you do like your neighbors don't you?
otherwise a jacobs ladder on the roof would do the job perfect and also fit in nicely with the whole christmas thing

manuka

"BobG" (who has also emailed me directly about this) apparently lives in Christchurch, New Zealand. The common starling abounds all over NZ & is in fact encouraged by many Kiwi farmers as they eat pesky grass grubs & numerous other annoying insects. Starlings are very smart cookies indeed (see the "car wash" example =>http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/carwash.asp ), so as well as trying to deal with a bird nuisance as old as civilization itself, you'll have to factor in that the starlings will probably wise up to most tricks us humans devise to taunt them. Many of these hi tech approaches (mock eagles,lasers, ultrasonics, shotguns, poisons etc) end up taunting ones neighbourhood of course. Suggest you DO NOT use poisons or airguns in a built up area, or you could end up killing/injuring innocent wildlife & pets. This can lead to VERY bad feuds with ones neighbours & even criminal charges (firearms, RSPSA etc). "Flying rat" pigeons are a significant feature of Wellington city, & occasional attempts by building owners & councils to move them on have lead to zombie birds littering footpaths. Sickening -the public outcry is ABSOLUTELY no joke...

Starlings (a group of which are quaintly known as a " murmuration" ) usually head for the fields at dawn & only return at dusk to roost. However this time of year in NZ they'll be raising a family so demanding youngsters will no doubt be evident. What time of the day are they there? Is it just the roosting that annoys? It may well be they fancy the nearby trees or building cavities? Can these be trimmed/blocked? You'll have to tell us LOTS more before a rational approach can be considered. Stan in Wellington NZ ( & yes- I was raised on a farm)

Extra: Hope yours are not as abundant as => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1caGi179tGc

Attachments

Last edited:

demonicpicaxeguy

somthing that came to me after my last reply was that i have had a great deal of success with using radiator coolant and a mouse and rat poisen , we had a plaig of them in our street since the land fairly close to us was clear of everything to make way for a land release, a small bowl full of it has also helped with birds and various other life forms in the roof as well, best thing you can do is keep trying different methods of getting rid of them

Rickharris

Birds are not responsive to stationary objects but very aware of movement. The hawk silhouette works and is used on RAF bases as well as real hawks.

Th picture below shows a radio control servo attached to a CD. The CD is raised and lowered at random intervals providing the movement and a reflected flash to scare the birds off.

Code:
'untried code
start:
servo 2,70  'CD lies flat - you will need to experiment to get the rigt position.
random w1
pause wi
servo 2,100 'cd rises to upright position - you will need to experiment to get the rigt position.
wait 30  'wait for 30 seconds

goto start  'return servo to lower position.ready for the next cycle.

Attachments

Michael V

Starlings and Indian Myna Birds

Hey Greenie Bob,
Over here on the east coast of Australia we have a possibly bigger problem with an Introduced species, the Indian Myna. These things are a big time pest as they compete with native species especially grass parrrots and lorrikeets, toss them out of their nests, and yep, collect on TV aerials, satellite dishes and ridges soiling the roof, and nest in the eaves. These things are often called 'Noisy Mynas' another problem.

We also have starling problems, but not as much, the Mynas are too numerous.

The most common myna eradication strategy is trapping. Traps used for catching Mynas are also successsful in a "by catch" of Starlings. So if you don't have mynas where you are (sounds like not) then the traps shown will catch the starlings I guess.

http://www.indianmynaeradication.com/index.html

plans for a home made trap for mynas and starlings here: http://www.indianmynaaction.org.au/

One of the things about mynas is they call out to each other and hunt in packs, i guess from the previous posts starlings do too.

In the mynamagic trap in the URL, the first bird is caught after landing on a mechanical trigger platform. Then when it is trapped it calls out to other birds to assist, and they end up going into the trap through one way funnels. The mechanical trigger is weight of bird dependent, so not 100% perfect. I thought of using a picaxe controlled optical sensor such as Infra red to switch a solenoid which would release the flap.

The way of disposing mynas is by putting the traps in a plastic bag and gassing them with CO2. A waste of good gas in my opinion, and it is something you have to buy.

I thought electrocution might be a humane strategy. A bird sitting on a carefully designed perch fitted with bird leg spaced electrodes could be zapped when a picaxe fitted with optical sensors detected birds happily perched on them for a few seconds. The picaxe can generate a frequency of signal which can then be boosted with transistors and an automotive coil ( not that i could design that).There would be several perches, and the picaxe with sensors would make sure not all the birds were zapped, so there would be birds to call more birds for help. Voltage and current would be appropriate to a creature of that size, copying that from an electronic mouse or rat trap, to make sure it was humanely despatched.

Also another thing i thought of, what about the bird version of an electric fence? If you can somehow string a wire with insulators acrross the top of your ridge, it would be very fine and basically invisible from the street. The picaxe could control capacitor discharges through eg an automotive coil, at appropriate frequency, eg every few seconds. Also give you fault detection, i.e short to ground. Once again, voltage and current would need to be appropriate for discouraging birds, and not discouraging sheep and cattle, or your gutters will be full of dead birds. Could even be solar powered.

I would love to get rid of those mynas - so let us know if picaxe helps.

demonicpicaxeguy

I thought electrocution might be a humane strategy.
like i said jacobs ladder on the roof or a grid of small ones dotted on the roof in a massive grid then have the two terminals spaced far enough not to arc unless there is a bird between them

just don't forget to turn it off when it rains :)

Last edited:

manuka

Yikes! Gentlemen- it may seem squeamish, but such broad spectrum bird eradication raises ENORMOUS environmental, ethical & safety issues. Twitching birds on rooftops may attract cats (or kids...) who could also then be electrocuted/poisoned. Most farmers LIKE starlings, with many in NZ at least going to some trouble to encourage them, & you may get a tractor load of manure up your driveway as a result of your eradication -we live in an age when the wider results of what you do need consideration. Of course exposed high voltage wiring may also leave the constructor liable for prosecution or even manslaughter...

Suggest you think positively about the problem & look at perhaps making roosting MORE appealing elsewhere via the likes of cane/bamboo stands etc. Many parts of the US have MILLIONS of winter starlings roosting in what humans consider undesirable sites, & significant work has been put into moving them on. See the likes of => www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V91-4KTVNT9-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=93a28abac4cddfb4058a672239bbacd5 & also an older Canterbury NZ study =>www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjz/1974/32.pdf

Starlings apparently have an upper frequency auditory response akin to humans, & sonic scarers are considered ineffective. See => http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0091-7648(199022)18:2<151:IOASDF>2.0.CO;2-N&size=LARGE&origin=JSTOR-enlargePage

Myna birds certainly abound in warmer parts of NZ, with their roosting NOISE considered far worse than their droppings. The king of pesky birds however is our ultra-smart Kea alpine parrot. These darlings are capable of popping car hubcaps, ripping out rubber trim/wiper blades & even deflating tyres. Many a tourist returns from a hike to the glacier head to find their rental car a complete shambles. Stan

EXTRA: Given the Xmas season you may get some mileage from some glaring festive lights strung around the rooftops. The (mis)use of these has reached such kitsch levels globally that even cringing humans will be inclined to move along. They certainly seem to be limiting breeding in some neighbourhoods!

Last edited:

BrendanP

You could gas the caught birds with car exhaust fumes. Put the live trap in the bag and hold the mouth of the bag over the car exhaust. Cheaper than bottled CO2.
Remember, its war between you and the vermin, have no mercy.

D n T

Anti starlings Part I

AS with a newby with an idea, what type of roof covering is it?
You probably mentioned it but I am in then middle of having a merry 28X1mas.

A suggestion that works for seagulls is wire "spikes" from the roof, here in West OZ the marine and harbours and the roads department use them to great effect to keep the "pretty little birdies from shi##ing on the solar panel they use to power all sorts of things, we get lots of sun here you know.

If you have a tiled roofbent up some fencing wire to an L shape (150mm ish long) with a foot on the bottom that will wedge under the tile and hold it upright
( it would have to look like this, sorry hippy, I'm not good with ascii art yet)

side view: _______| from the top: .>

I hope you get the idea

On a tin roof you might have to make the foot more like an eye and remove a roofing nail and replace it with a TEK screw to hold the spike through the eye

If you place them as close to 300 - 400mm apart as possible not only will you go through a load of wire but you will keep the starlings off, although you may encounter some of the following:

Perhaps an inbalance of static electricity
Hell raiser ( pin head fans may come to your house( a movie))
You may be asked by the council to brush your houses hair

anyway have a good crissy and an even better new year.
Remember the bottom of the bottle is the destination, its not as important as what you do while you are getting there is what counts

Last edited:

Michael V

Picaxe Skills for flying vermin

Hi Brendan. i'd thought of the car exhaust. Didn't want to say it out loud.

Stan, I still like that the principle of the electronic mouse traps (common in US but never seen one here) which are setup in a way that people inc small children can't get zapped. If a rodent can be despatched by a charge through the feet from front to back (this is the design) then is should work for a two legged winged rodent if the alternating electrodes were spaced a on a perch a bird width apart. Would be fine tuned for the bird width.

A suitable zapper could be safely enclosed in a trapping cage which would be disabled when the cage was opened (picaxe would detect and control). This would save the whole gas chamber thing, exhaust or bottle, which i would find personally traumatic.

Now we have to 1) use the clever picaxe to help catch the b***s (sensors, catch releases) 2) maybe automatically despatch them (eg humanely by electocution?) and 3) figure out how to get a suitable gadget up on Greenie Bob's roof!

Rickharris

Not a picaxe solution BUT it seems there is a lot of supportive evidence that birds hate the colour blue - Bits of blue paper flutter in the wind puts the wind up them.

Mycroft2152

I suggest putting Pathfineder on the roof and letting him have his tantrums up there! That will surely scare away the starlings...

Of cours there is alwys Nesbit.

demonicpicaxeguy

paint the rabbit blue then tie him up on the roof

my father in law suggested feeding the local cats on the roof and make ramps for them to get up there , at least the starlings will be gone

Tom2000

Ham radio operators sometimes mount plastic owls on their towers to keep the birdies away. I think I've seen them in catalogs from ham radio equipment vendors.

I don't know if they're effective. I've never wanted one of those unsightly monstrosities on my property. (The tower/antenna, not the owl! :) )

Good luck!

Tom