I think I killed the picaxe starter kit.

tzurs

We've been playing with it for a while. worked fairly ok so far.
Last night after some rewiring in the input output circuits, the thing will not respond to the pc any more (serial cable). the pc cannot find it.
I've removed everything (output input ribbons) and left with the batteries (new) connected to the kit.
one thing I notice (and haven't noticed before is that the the chip is hitting up extremely (like there is a shortage or something), I guess my question is:
is it suppose to heat or have I already broke the kit..?
can anyone please help me, I'm abroad and I guess I'll have to somehow get a new one..
any comments are very welcome,
--tzurs.

Charliem

Hi tzurs,

If the picaxe is getting hot then thats not good.do you have another one you can try?Im not familer with the picaxw starter kit.:)

BeanieBots

A hot chip is almost certainly an indication of a dead one. If it has no connections to the outputs and gets hot, it is either dead, wrong polarity or over-voltage.
Wrong polarity may survive if the power supply is current limited.

tzurs

I have the picaxe 28a,
I've removed all outputs...only the batteries are connected, and its still boiling hot.
I guess the thing is dead, not sure what caused that.

Bests,
-tzurs.

Charliem

Hi tzurs,

yea Sorry that does sound like you fried the chip:(.Before I tried another chip I would try and figure out what caused it.

tzurs

thanx a lot to all the responders,
I'll have to get a new starter kit and recheck my circuit to make sure its safe..
thanx again,
--tzurs

ylp88

I had a small 8-pin DIP amplifier chip (some TDA series) and it overheated. It has EXTREMELY thin hairline fractures across the top of it.

ylp88

tzurs

Correct,

I looked at the chip on the board and I notice the same crack line you mention, I guess its a good reference for others to know that.
as for getting only a new chip, I'm not sure, can someone elaborate on the possibility of replacing only the chip?
thanx,
--tzrs.
btw.
it would be great if the starter kit had some "signal" that its "working" some "I'm ok and ready" led.

Rickharris

Replacing the Picaxe is no problem and should cost a lot less than buying the PCB again.

When you get it squeeze the legs in a little so it fit into the socket more easily- It has a lot of legs so go easy and make sure it is right in the socket.

As said above Find out WHY it overheated - i would guess swapping the battery polarity or some kind of short circuit on the PCB, Perhaps you put the PCB down on something conductive?

Bhotep

I did the same thing and it happened like this:
I started to build the circuit on a new breadboard.
I got it all together and applied voltage.
the pc wouldnt recognize it at all.
i messed with it and messed with it, and checked my circuits over and over, and finally burned my finger on the chip when i touched it (soldering iron hot!)
OK, STUPID BEGINNER TRICK/LESSON!
on the development board, the pin lines with a blue or red line have voltage and you should not put your chip there.
I had stupidly built my chip plugged into the power source lines.
But , oddly enough the smoke didnt come out.
it still works great... after it cooled off, of course.

flyingnunrt

Just managed to keep the smoke in.
Those little beggars are robust eh!
Had a spash of solder between pin 0 and gnd on a 08M.
Damaged the end of my finger, but the chip is still ok.
Also tried running it of a 4.5v plug pack that was putting out about 6.5 volts.
Picaxe chip still breathing ok.